PHP MySQL and giberish for output

Lil Puppy

I have 2 different php files that technically accomplish the same output but both fail. I'm quite new to php and mysql, I'm usually just modifying existing code but I need to make this and can't find any examples to work from.What I'm trying to do is make a table that will hold numerical data for the prices of various dyes (for a video game fansite) and the output goes into a table on a webpage(once I get it working right) for the average of the column for each dye that isn't null. I already have the input form to put the data in the table, but I can't seem to get php to output anything correctly and I can't see any errors(though I'm sure there are plenty).I only need to get one of the files to work right so I know what I'm doing wrong.Hope someone can help point out some errors :) ThanksFile 1: Using more complex script

<?phpinclude("config.inc.php");$link = mysql_connect($db_host,$db_user,$db_pass);if(!$link) die ('Could not connect to database: '.mysql_error());mysql_select_db($db_name,$link);//Arrays for color and table field names$color = array("Black","White","Silver","Red","Blue","Green","Yellow","Orange","Purple","Brown");$entry = array("field_1","field_2","field_3","field_4","field_5","field_6","field_7","field_8","field_9","field_10");echo "<html><body>"; //I think I need this//Loop through the table field names and get averages of numerical data in columnsfor ($i=0; $i<=9; $i++){	$xx = $color[$i]; //For Switch function	$yy = $entry[$i]; //For Select Avg below	$price = mysql_query("SELECT AVG(' . $yy . ') FROM ' . $db_table . '");	echo $xx . " " . $yy . " " . $i; //testing to see if it actually loops	switch ($xx)	{	case "Black":		echo $xx . ":" . $price . "k<br/>";	break;	case "White":		echo $xx . ":" . $price . "k<br/>";	break;	case "Brown":		echo $xx . ":" . $price . "g";	break;	default:		echo $xx . ":" . $price . "g<br/>";	}}echo "</body></html>";mysql_close($link);?>

File 2: Using only DB calls

<html><body><?phpinclude("config.inc.php");$link = mysql_connect($db_host,$db_user,$db_pass);if(!$link) die ('Could not connect to database: '.mysql_error());mysql_select_db($db_name,$link);echo "Black: " . mysql_query("SELECT avg(`field_1`) FROM `pre_dye_prices` WHERE field_1>0") . "<br>";echo "White: " . mysql_query("SELECT avg(`field_2`) FROM `pre_dye_prices` WHERE field_2>0") . "<br>";echo "Silver: " . mysql_query("SELECT avg(`field_3`) FROM `pre_dye_prices` WHERE field_3>0") . "<br>";echo "Red: " . mysql_query("SELECT avg(`field_4`) FROM `pre_dye_prices` WHERE field_4>0") . "<br>";echo "Blue: " . mysql_query("SELECT avg(`field_5`) FROM `pre_dye_prices` WHERE field_5>0") . "<br>";echo "Green: " . mysql_query("SELECT avg(`field_6`) FROM `pre_dye_prices` WHERE field_6>0") . "<br>";echo "Yellow: " . mysql_query("SELECT avg(`field_7`) FROM `pre_dye_prices` WHERE field_7>0") . "<br>";echo "Orange: " . mysql_query("SELECT avg(`field_8`) FROM `pre_dye_prices` WHERE field_8>0") . "<br>";echo "Purple: " . mysql_query("SELECT avg(`field_9`) FROM `pre_dye_prices` WHERE field_9>0") . "<br>";echo "Brown: " . mysql_query("SELECT avg(`field_10`) FROM `pre_dye_prices` WHERE field_10>0");mysql_close($link);?></body></html>

And the output I get from each one of those is:

File1:"; //I think I need this਀� ਀⼀⼀䰀漀漀瀀 琀栀爀漀甀最栀 琀栀攀 琀愀戀氀攀 昀椀攀氀搀 渀愀洀攀猀 愀渀搀 最攀琀 愀瘀攀爀愀最攀猀 漀昀 渀甀洀攀爀椀挀愀氀 搀愀琀愀 椀渀 挀漀氀甀洀渀猀� for ($i=0; $i<=9; $i++){਀ऀ␀砀砀 㴀 ␀挀漀氀漀爀嬀␀椀崀㬀 ⼀⼀䘀漀爀 匀眀椀琀挀栀 昀甀渀挀琀椀漀渀� $yy = $entry[$i]; //For Select Avg below਀ऀ␀瀀爀椀挀攀 㴀 洀礀猀焀氀开焀甀攀爀礀⠀∀匀䔀䰀䔀䌀吀 䄀嘀䜀⠀✀ ⸀ ␀礀礀 ⸀ ✀⤀ 䘀刀伀䴀 ✀ ⸀ ␀搀戀开琀愀戀氀攀 ⸀ ✀∀⤀㬀� echo $xx . " " . $yy . " " . $i; //testing to see if it actually loops਀ऀ猀眀椀琀挀栀 ⠀␀砀砀⤀� {਀ऀ挀愀猀攀 ∀䈀氀愀挀欀∀㨀� echo $xx . ":" . $price . "k";਀ऀ戀爀攀愀欀㬀� case "White":਀ऀऀ攀挀栀漀 ␀砀砀 ⸀ ∀㨀∀ ⸀ ␀瀀爀椀挀攀 ⸀ ∀欀㰀戀爀⼀㸀∀㬀� break;਀ऀ挀愀猀攀 ∀䈀爀漀眀渀∀㨀� echo $xx . ":" . $price . "g";਀ऀ戀爀攀愀欀㬀� default:਀ऀऀ攀挀栀漀 ␀砀砀 ⸀ ∀㨀∀ ⸀ ␀瀀爀椀挀攀 ⸀ ∀最㰀戀爀⼀㸀∀㬀� }਀紀� ਀攀挀栀漀 ∀㰀⼀戀漀搀礀㸀㰀⼀栀琀洀氀㸀∀㬀� ਀� mysql_close($link);਀㼀㸀--------------------------------File2:਀㰀戀漀搀礀㸀� 0") . "";਀攀挀栀漀 ∀匀椀氀瘀攀爀㨀 ∀ ⸀ 洀礀猀焀氀开焀甀攀爀礀⠀∀匀䔀䰀䔀䌀吀 愀瘀最⠀怀昀椀攀氀搀开㌀怀⤀ 䘀刀伀䴀 怀瀀爀攀开搀礀攀开瀀爀椀挀攀猀怀 圀䠀䔀刀䔀 昀椀攀氀搀开㌀㸀 ∀⤀ ⸀ ∀㰀戀爀㸀∀㬀� echo "Red: " . mysql_query("SELECT avg(`field_4`) FROM `pre_dye_prices` WHERE field_4>0") . "";਀攀挀栀漀 ∀䈀氀甀攀㨀 ∀ ⸀ 洀礀猀焀氀开焀甀攀爀礀⠀∀匀䔀䰀䔀䌀吀 愀瘀最⠀怀昀椀攀氀搀开㔀怀⤀ 䘀刀伀䴀 怀瀀爀攀开搀礀攀开瀀爀椀挀攀猀怀 圀䠀䔀刀䔀 昀椀攀氀搀开㔀㸀 ∀⤀ ⸀ ∀㰀戀爀㸀∀㬀� echo "Green: " . mysql_query("SELECT avg(`field_6`) FROM `pre_dye_prices` WHERE field_6>0") . "";਀攀挀栀漀 ∀夀攀氀氀漀眀㨀 ∀ ⸀ 洀礀猀焀氀开焀甀攀爀礀⠀∀匀䔀䰀䔀䌀吀 愀瘀最⠀怀昀椀攀氀搀开㜀怀⤀ 䘀刀伀䴀 怀瀀爀攀开搀礀攀开瀀爀椀挀攀猀怀 圀䠀䔀刀䔀 昀椀攀氀搀开㜀㸀 ∀⤀ ⸀ ∀㰀戀爀㸀∀㬀� echo "Orange: " . mysql_query("SELECT avg(`field_8`) FROM `pre_dye_prices` WHERE field_8>0") . "";਀攀挀栀漀 ∀倀甀爀瀀氀攀㨀 ∀ ⸀ 洀礀猀焀氀开焀甀攀爀礀⠀∀匀䔀䰀䔀䌀吀 愀瘀最⠀怀昀椀攀氀搀开㤀怀⤀ 䘀刀伀䴀 怀瀀爀攀开搀礀攀开瀀爀椀挀攀猀怀 圀䠀䔀刀䔀 昀椀攀氀搀开㤀㸀 ∀⤀ ⸀ ∀㰀戀爀㸀∀㬀� echo "Brown: " . mysql_query("SELECT avg(`field_10`) FROM `pre_dye_prices` WHERE field_10>0");਀� mysql_close($link);਀㼀㸀� ਀㰀⼀栀琀洀氀㸀

Are you naming the files with a .php at the end, and is your server set up to parse PHP files? Are you even running these from a server?There are two problems: 1) the files aren't being parsed, and 2) the encoding is wrong. Try fixing the first one first.

Yes, Yes, Yes. I run joomla and SMF with a mysql server.They are .php, I just tried another encoding type and it parses now thank you. The SQL command works on the mysql db exactly like it's supposed to but through php it doesn't.This:

echo "Black: " . mysql_query("SELECT avg(`field_1`) FROM `pre_dye_prices` WHERE field_1>0") . "<br>";

Produces:

Black: Resource id #3

I can debug the rest of my code if I can just get that output to work right.

You need to retrieve the resultset. You could do

echo "Black: " . implode(mysql_fetch_assoc(mysql_query("SELECT avg(`field_1`) FROM `pre_dye_prices` WHERE field_1>0"))) . "<br>";

• 2 months later...

Sorry for bringing this back up, but I haven't been able to get around to testing and continuing this project since my last reply.Thank you for the information, it works great. The only problem I have is that I need to make this more efficient for the mysql server (during initial testing I caused some severe problems with my shared hosting provider that took nearly a week to resolve :) )The code below works just fine, just wondering if there's any tips I can get to make this more efficient or better for the mysql server.TIA.

<html><body><?phpinclude("config.inc.php");$link = mysql_connect($db_host,$db_user,$db_pass);if(!$link) die ('Could not connect to database: '.mysql_error());mysql_select_db($db_name,$link);echo "Black: " . implode(mysql_fetch_assoc(mysql_query("SELECT avg(`field_1`) FROM `pre_dye_prices` WHERE field_1>0"))) . "k <br>";echo "White: " . implode(mysql_fetch_assoc(mysql_query("SELECT avg(`field_2`) FROM `pre_dye_prices` WHERE field_2>0"))) . "k <br>";echo "Silver: " . implode(mysql_fetch_assoc(mysql_query("SELECT avg(`field_3`) FROM `pre_dye_prices` WHERE field_3>0"))) . "g <br>";echo "Red: " . implode(mysql_fetch_assoc(mysql_query("SELECT avg(`field_4`) FROM `pre_dye_prices` WHERE field_4>0"))) . "g <br>";echo "Blue: " . implode(mysql_fetch_assoc(mysql_query("SELECT avg(`field_5`) FROM `pre_dye_prices` WHERE field_5>0"))) . "g <br>";echo "Green: " . implode(mysql_fetch_assoc(mysql_query("SELECT avg(`field_6`) FROM `pre_dye_prices` WHERE field_6>0"))) . "g <br>";echo "Yellow: " . implode(mysql_fetch_assoc(mysql_query("SELECT avg(`field_7`) FROM `pre_dye_prices` WHERE field_7>0"))) . "g <br>";echo "Orange: " . implode(mysql_fetch_assoc(mysql_query("SELECT avg(`field_8`) FROM `pre_dye_prices` WHERE field_8>0"))) . "g <br>";echo "Purple: " . implode(mysql_fetch_assoc(mysql_query("SELECT avg(`field_9`) FROM `pre_dye_prices` WHERE field_9>0"))) . "g <br>";echo "Brown: " . implode(mysql_fetch_assoc(mysql_query("SELECT avg(`field_10`) FROM `pre_dye_prices` WHERE field_10>0"))) . "g <br>";mysql_close($link);?></body></html>

Archived