Development Suite suggestions

Lonig

Not sure if there are any out there, but I really like the MS Visual Web Developer Express, and unfortunately cannot use it at work due to its license.Nor can I talk them into purchasing it, or any other software... They wish for me to die using Notepad.Developing in a mix of (x)HTML, CSS, JS, ASP, PHP, and the SQLs... I am going to go insane.Any advice on a good IDE would be great. Prefer it be similar to the MS Web Developer Express, or maybe something like AceHTML 6.6, but not required. i'm willing to relearn so long as it can at least identify HTML and CSS, anything else is a perk.And the license needs to be open enough that I can use it at work.Thanks in advance for any advice,Lonig

Not sure if there are any out there, but I really like the MS Visual Web Developer Express, and unfortunately cannot use it at work due to its license.Nor can I talk them into purchasing it, or any other software... They wish for me to die using Notepad.Developing in a mix of (x)HTML, CSS, JS, ASP, PHP, and the SQLs... I am going to go insane.Any advice on a good IDE would be great. Prefer it be similar to the MS Web Developer Express, or maybe something like AceHTML 6.6, but not required. i'm willing to relearn so long as it can at least identify HTML and CSS, anything else is a perk.And the license needs to be open enough that I can use it at work.Thanks in advance for any advice,Lonig
Hi. Suprised by what you say as the express group of MS programs are so designed for 'designers' to use foc (in the hope that they will move onto expressions or to the visual studio suite of programs); that said there are hundreds of free ide's out there - I have a dozen loaded onto my system which I flit between but prefer to use my visual studio which is dammed expensive so leave that idea alone. Why do they insist on note pad - not the best editor around; sounds like to me that they dont value the web design process; maybe its time to move on. Try Aurora Web Editor (it is from an Australian company) and was when I got it, free, and usable by anyone. It handles CSS and HTML and also offers some good 'add ons'. I liked their approach and while it isn't the best around but fine for someone to use and not to get into trouble with licences etc, it was not a badstart for me. http://www.aurorawebeditor.com/ I've just navigated there and they talk about buying it so they might have tightened things up a bit since my last visit - I downloaded their trial version a year ago and it still works okay. Suggest you also do some searches for yourself

If you don't need WYSISYG capabilities a good free one is PSPad - it has good syntax highlighting in all the above languages (can't recognize inline SQL though), along with good project management features and an integrated FTP client. I use it.

At work I use Visual Studio 2008. I like it for .Net work which is all it is really designed for. For freelance work I use Notepad2. Those are 2 very big extremes I know. I used to write C# code in Notepad and compile it with batch files but that got messy when using 3rd party assemblies.For stuff like PHP, HTML, CSS, JavaScript or other interpreted languages a simple editor that does syntax highlighting is really all you need. An editor with tabbed browsing or even a file explorer are nice too.

Archived