Minor error with the <q> tag

Guest pyro1588

I think it's refering to the fact that the <q> element isn't rendered differently than normal text. It doesn't have margins or line breaks.

As I understand the HTML 4.01 spec, the <q> element does several things. 1., it ensures that nested quotes are printed correctly (in Am. English, this means first using double quotes, then using single quotes). This would be handy when automating the printing of text from library sources (that is, when not hand-coding the text for a unique application). 2., since <q> takes a language attribute, it ensures that the correct symbol will be used for the specified language.There is nothing in the spec indicating whether <q> in English should be rendered as straight or curly quotes, and I notice that the latest version of Safari (for the Mac, anyway) uses straight quotes.At most, w3schools might indicate that different browsers will render the element differently, but that's true of so many aspects of so many elements, they'd end up repeating the same disclaimer all over the place.

Archived