PHP Book

shadowayex

Hello. I'm looking to buy a nice book on PHP and I kind of wanted some opinions. I found this one on oreilly.com and it looks decent. Has anyone read it? Or is there a better one to go for? I guess I should give a little more information about my case.I don't really have to money for trail and error buying, so I want my purchase to be worthwhile. I learn much better by being given all the options to solving a problem and a nice explanation about what information does what (i.e. if there's a function that takes a few parameters, what each parameter is for and id their required or not). I don't really do so well for you handing e a function and here are the parameters, now go find something to use it on. I like to know what their actually used for, so if I run into that problem, I'll go "hey I remember reading that such and such is used for this type of situation" you know? So books and resources and teach the stuff and WHAT THEIR USED FOR works well with me. Anything else is almost worthless as I retain nothing if I don't know what their used for.Edit: I thought I should add that I'm not 100% new to PHP, or web building for that matter. I'm not 100% efficient, but I've been building this website and if you go their and sign up, you can take a look in my Updates section and read what I've been working on. I've got enough knowledge to build that stuff, so with that in mind, people who's read that book, would it be good for me? And people who have read other books, what do you think would be good for me?

I read a bit of that on books24x7.com and it was pretty darn good. I'm not an oreilly guy, but that book was well written and very detailed. tons of example code, and seemed to work. I only read a few chapters, but it was pretty good. Not sure where you live, but Amazon has it pretty cheap(19.79), especially if you buy used($8).I'm actually thinking about buying it for $8. It was worth that just in the 'sessions' and 'database' sections to me.

Ah decisions, decisions. The more expensive one has twice the pages and probably much more information, so I'm leaning towards it. Then again, it is more expensive, and will I need all the extra information... Well, I guess if I'm aiming for a Ph. D. in Computer Science I probably should. That way I gain as much knowledge during high school as possible... But also, the more expensive book is older, and I would also need a reference for all the updates... Should I get both?

Don't forget the online manual is complete and up to date and will always be a good supplement to whatever you buy.
Good Call... and there's also these forums if anything else... I just don't want to buy the older one and end up learning how to use something that is being ready to get removed.

i have php cookbook by oreilyand also learning phpand also php 5 advance by larrry ullman
O...k... and how much did you learn from each of 'em? Which one's good and so on?

Archived