How do you make a rollover like the one's Yahoo has?

Guest Suzaku

Guest Suzaku

I'm designing a website and one of the things that I would really like to do is have some rollovers that when activated (when you rollover them) have a small, blurb pop up so that the user can see what a specific topic is about. Basically I want to have blurbs pop like the one's on My Yahoo. I also want to have the corners rounded.My main problem is that I'm learning HTML and Javascript as I go, so any help, advice, or websites that could explain some of this to me would really be great.

I assume you want to move beyond the title attribute, since it'll do what you want, just not as pretty.Basically, you've got yourself a styled and positioned div that starts off hidden and gets toggled to visible when its rolled over. The zIndex also needs to be high enough that the div is layered over all other elements on the page. The rollover itself is probably done with javascript.Believe it or not, rounded corners add a whole new level of complexity to this sort of thing. Just googling "rounded corners" will bring up plenty of links you can look at. But I wouldn't mess with it at first. I'd start with positioning and visibility-toggling. Once that works for you, start dressing up the div.

Archived