event handler

dennisa

when I want to insert a new record, or update the database, I just want ... uhh just look at my code...html>><html><body><h1>Adding_record</h1><hr>input new record<p><form method="POST" action="add_confirm.asp"><p>nip <input name="nip"><p>name <input name="name"><p><input type="Submit" value="ADD"></form></body></html>asp>><html><body><h1>add_Confirm</h1><hr><%on error resume nextset conn = Server.Createobject("ADODB.Connection")conn.Provider = "Microsoft.JET.OLEDB.4.0"conn.open server.Mappath("dbkelas.mdb")nip= request.form("nip")name= request.form("name")conn.execute "insert into tkelas(nip,name) values('"&nip&"','"&name&"')",recordsaffectedif err<>0 thenresponse.write("You dont have any permission to update the database")elseresponse.write(recordsaffected&" record was added")end ifconn.closeset conn=nothing%></body></html>nip=primary keyso you must notice that the fatal error is when I try to insert new record...if I only fill the name, the record will appear in my database... eventhough the nip=""(null). I dont want that happen!!what I want is, whenever the user do not put the nip, hence alert message will b displayed prompting the user to fill the nip... so every record in my db will have an nip...do you think that what I need is an event handler?? or do you have any other idea??

change this

nip= request.form("nip")name= request.form("name")conn.execute "insert into tkelas(nip,name) values('"&nip&"','"&name&"')",recordsaffectedif err<>0 thenresponse.write("You dont have any permission to update the database")elseresponse.write(recordsaffected&" record was added")end if

to

nip= request.form("nip")name= request.form("name")if nip <> "" then  conn.execute "insert into tkelas(nip,name) values          ('"&nip&"','"&name&"')",recordsaffected  if err<>0 then    response.write("You dont have any permission to update the database")  else    response.write(recordsaffected&" record was added")  end ifelse  response.write("you must give a value for nip")end if

change this
nip= request.form("nip")name= request.form("name")conn.execute "insert into tkelas(nip,name) values('"&nip&"','"&name&"')",recordsaffectedif err<>0 thenresponse.write("You dont have any permission to update the database")elseresponse.write(recordsaffected&" record was added")end if

to

nip= request.form("nip")name= request.form("name")if nip <> "" then  conn.execute "insert into tkelas(nip,name) values          ('"&nip&"','"&name&"')",recordsaffected  if err<>0 then    response.write("You dont have any permission to update the database")  else    response.write(recordsaffected&" record was added")  end ifelse  response.write("you must give a value for nip")end if

thanks asp net guy!!!yes, any other way??because actually I want the pop up message appear if I press the submit button so the user dont bother to go to the asp page.....the html page will prompt the user to fill the nip field!!

<html><head><script>function onFormSubmit(){	var nip = document.getElementById('nip');   	 if(nip.value == "")   	 {            alert('you must give nip a value');             return false;    }}</script><body><h1>Adding_record</h1><hr>input new record<p><form method="POST" action="add_confirm.asp" onsubmit="javascript:return onFormSubmit()"><p>nip <input name="nip" id="nip"><p>name <input name="name"><p><input type="Submit" value="ADD"></form></body></html>

That should work.

<html><head><script>function onFormSubmit(){	var nip = document.getElementById('nip');    	if(nip.value == "")    	{            alert('you must give nip a value');             return false;    }}</script><body><h1>Adding_record</h1><hr>input new record<p><form method="POST" action="add_confirm.asp" onsubmit="javascript:return onFormSubmit()"><p>nip <input name="nip" id="nip"><p>name <input name="name"><p><input type="Submit" value="ADD"></form></body></html>

That should work.

thanks youre really helpful....another problem comes...