Vote for your favorite

sweinkauf13

What's your favorite???  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What laugauge do you like working with the most?

• C++
    • C#
    • VBscript
    • I don't know any of these languages

I no c and c++ and stuff and it has way to complex syntax. so of course i go with vbscript, not because i no it (which i dont) but because it cant be gayer then c

C is pretty powerful if you know how to use it (I don't, but I know what it can do).I'd go for C++ out of these three, because it's similar to PHP and Javascript in a lot of ways.

Weird set of choices, especially for a web-oriented site. And with modern IDE's, a lot of what you think is the language is really the environment, or the set of object libraries supplied by the IDE manufacturer, all of which could change from platform to platform, IDE to IDE.So I don't see much meaningful coming out of this discussion. Sorry.

Weird set of choices, especially for a web-oriented site. And with modern IDE's, a lot of what you think is the language is really the environment, or the set of object libraries supplied by the IDE manufacturer, all of which could change from platform to platform, IDE to IDE.So I don't see much meaningful coming out of this discussion. Sorry.
Word!And to be on topic, I'd go with C++/C#, because of their complexity, and because the syntax is similar to PHP/JS.P.S.: Guys, when you're talking about languages that YOU KNOW, you mean you know their syntax, and you're not just copy/pasting syts from a web site which is full of Pros...

But at the risk of sounding weird, I'm going to say Javascript. It's object prototyping model makes very intuitive sense to me. Of course, it's very close to C in most other ways, and that's a bonus. I think if you added some memory management and some object libraries, you could build it into a very robust IDE that would give VB a run for its money for stand-alone apps. Easy to learn, quick to deploy, and a huge support community. Why not?

I'll repeat what's been said, very strange list. I would have picked JavaScript had it been there (well, maybe not, I do love JS though).What about C, PHP, Ruby, Python, Java, JavaScript, Visual Basic (no VBScript if different), PERL, and about 2 dozen other languages out there?

Maybe he's trying to pick a language for his new ASP.NET project, and can't decide between the three? lolOut of the list, C++ would be my favourite, I suppose. VBscript is the odd one out, as it is a scripting language designed for Windows OS command automating, while the other two are fully Turing-complete programming languages.

The thread is st00pid. WORLD WIDE WEB Schools is not oriented to offline programming, and assuming that we're talking about web languages as well, is there anything compared to HTML?!?

The thread is st00pid. WORLD WIDE WEB Schools is not oriented to offline programming, and assuming that we're talking about web languages as well, is there anything compared to HTML?!?
HTML is not a programming language. It is a markup language that defines a structure. HTML can DO anything.If this thread is so "st00pid" why are you wasting your time commenting in it???

Well on web languages html is good, css makes things look good, but js hands down is my favorite.
I don't have a preference between CSS and JS because I think they are both good at doing their own different things. :)

I no c and c++ and stuff and it has way to complex syntax. so of course i go with vbscript, not because i no it (which i dont) but because it cant be gayer then c
What, are you kidding? C is arguably one of the most powerful languages invented, much of the software that changed how people use computers was written in C (UNIX, Linux, Apache, Doom, Quake, router software, hardware drivers, embedded systems, etc etc etc). Many, many other languages have been influenced by C, it has compilers for nearly every architecture in use, and its syntax is actually very easy to learn (the language is very small). In contrast, VB was created as a language that didn't require programming knowledge in order to use it, so that non-programmers could also use the giant computers at the time to do their batch jobs. So VB is a programming language designed for people who don't know how to program, and C is one of the fastest and most powerful languages in use today. If you're saying that you "know" C and C++, I would challenge you to write a program in either of them that forks a child process and uses the two processes to write alternating numbers to a file, and post it here. If you can't do that, then don't say that you know C. I doubt you know either of those languages. The value of a language isn't in how easy it is to learn, good programmers are able to learn any language, the value of the language is in what it can do and how it performs, and VB can't hold a candle to C in either of those areas.

HTML is not a programming language. It is a markup language that defines a structure. HTML can DO anything.
I don't think that the thread's creator was stressing on PROGRAMING language, but on languages we usually use.Also, when you say favourite, you're talking about things which are used for the same purpose, but are different. HTML vs. CSS is st00pid, while Photoshop vs. GIMP, PHP vs. ASP.NET aren't.And as far as I am concerned, C++ and C# are C-based programming language, with some different additional features. Of course, I might be wrong, as I'm not interested in offline programming, but still...And GH4, stop saying that JS owns PHP. We also know that ASP.NET owns Paint, and so on...

What, are you kidding? C is arguably one of the most powerful languages invented, much of the software that changed how people use computers was written in C (UNIX, Linux, Apache, Doom, Quake, router software, hardware drivers, embedded systems, etc etc etc). Many, many other languages have been influenced by C, it has compilers for nearly every architecture in use, and its syntax is actually very easy to learn (the language is very small). In contrast, VB was created as a language that didn't require programming knowledge in order to use it, so that non-programmers could also use the giant computers at the time to do their batch jobs. So VB is a programming language designed for people who don't know how to program, and C is one of the fastest and most powerful languages in use today. If you're saying that you "know" C and C++, I would challenge you to write a program in either of them that forks a child process and uses the two processes to write alternating numbers to a file, and post it here. If you can't do that, then don't say that you know C. I doubt you know either of those languages. The value of a language isn't in how easy it is to learn, good programmers are able to learn any language, the value of the language is in what it can do and how it performs, and VB can't hold a candle to C in either of those areas.
I had about the same reaction. Personally, VB is the last language on earth I would want to use.

VB is the retarded red-headed stepchild of programming languages (I don't mean to offend any retarded red-headed stepchildren by comparing them with VB). I've had to work with it for years, the company I work for has a product that's currently on version 6 and has always been ASP/VBScript from day one. Years of supporting that product and trying to create reports using it for companies that have 50,000 users makes it pretty obvious that VB is totally deficient. A dictionary object is really the only random-access data structure available, and a dictionary is amazingly slow. Comparing a dictionary object with an associative array is like night and day. And speaking of arrays, VB has the worst array handling I've seen. Then there's different syntax for function calls depending on whether the function returns a result or not (do you need parens or not, who knows?!?). Anyway, needless to say, version 7 of our product is all PHP and Javascript.

VB is the retarded red-headed stepchild of programming languages (I don't mean to offend any retarded red-headed stepchildren by comparing them with VB). I've had to work with it for years, the company I work for has a product that's currently on version 6 and has always been ASP/VBScript from day one. Years of supporting that product and trying to create reports using it for companies that have 50,000 users makes it pretty obvious that VB is totally deficient. A dictionary object is really the only random-access data structure available, and a dictionary is amazingly slow. Comparing a dictionary object with an associative array is like night and day. And speaking of arrays, VB has the worst array handling I've seen. Then there's different syntax for function calls depending on whether the function returns a result or not (do you need parens or not, who knows?!?). Anyway, needless to say, version 7 of our product is all PHP and Javascript.
I didn't mind writing ASP code if I could use JScript but it was still slow and required COM extensions for just about anything that was remotely useful.In college the first programming language I learned was VB6. Why would you teach VB6 to programmers as their first language then try and undo all of it by teaching OOP Java next? I never figured that out. The extent of my VB coding is the occasional piece of C# I have to translate to VB for posts on this forum. Somedays even that is too much. :)

In college the first programming language I learned was VB6. Why would you teach VB6 to programmers as their first language then try and undo all of it by teaching OOP Java next?
I don't understand why a college would choose VB as the intro language either, that doesn't make sense to me. I would want to run up to those confused-looking students and tell them that, not to worry, this isn't what programming is really like and it's going to get better once you learn a real language. For the exact same reason I'm confused why the vast majority of ASP examples are written in VBScript as opposed to Javascript. The only explanation I can give for that is because of the financial backing that Microsoft put towards pushing VB. No serious programmer can claim that VBScript is superior to Javascript. In fact, I can't even think of one thing that it does better. I'm thankful that my university got us started with C++ (while I was there, at least).

They are not related to web design/development. Well... not directly.
Would you like to say that again? C and C++ can be used to create webpages. Try telling Google that C++ is not for making websites. They use C++ CGI to server search queries. It is much harder and time consuming to code but nothing else can match it's speed and power.

if there was a choice in the matter even tho i dont like c++ it would be preferable to have a class teaching me on c++ then do what i tried to do and self teach myself. (needless to say I barely got past arrays )

I'm done with this topic, and any mods are welcome to close this topic.Thanks for particapating,Youngwebmaster

Archived