Copy Cat

Guest mathiaus

Guest mathiaus

Some idiots been spamming one of the forums I work on. He's been posting links to scriptjava.freehostia.com which I've noticed looks a lot like w3schools.I couldn't find a general contact email on your site, so thought I'd let you know about it here.Matt

That's pretty funny. I like how he uses the exact same banner, with the same tagline and everything, but changes it to say "Grow Computer" (?) in a font and color that doesn't match anything else on the page. The video game gif is a nice touch also.There are some things you can do about this other than contacting the owners. His domain is hosted at freehostia. Looking over the terms of service for freehostia accounts, one of the restrictions says that you can't post copyrighted material owned by others without permission. Freehostia has a contact form, so I sent them a note to let them know that the content of scriptjava.freehostia.com is an unlicensed reproduction of the content at w3schools.com.Also on his site near the bottom he has this:Copyright © 2007-2008, www.ScriptJava.co.nr All rights reserved.I went over to scriptjava.co.nr and there's nothing there, it showed a page that helpfully indicated that I could register this free domain. So I did, and I pointed it to w3schools.com. Anyway, there are things you can do yourself that are probably more effective, and definately more amusing, than just alerting the owners, even though that helps also.

Copyright © 2007-2008, www.ScriptJava.co.nr All rights reserved.I went over to scriptjava.co.nr and there's nothing there, it showed a page that helpfully indicated that I could register this free domain. So I did, and I pointed it to w3schools.com.
lol

That's pretty funny. I like how he uses the exact same banner, with the same tagline and everything, but changes it to say "Grow Computer" (?) in a font and color that doesn't match anything else on the page. The video game gif is a nice touch also.There are some things you can do about this other than contacting the owners. His domain is hosted at freehostia. Looking over the terms of service for freehostia accounts, one of the restrictions says that you can't post copyrighted material owned by others without permission. Freehostia has a contact form, so I sent them a note to let them know that the content of scriptjava.freehostia.com is an unlicensed reproduction of the content at w3schools.com.Also on his site near the bottom he has this:Copyright © 2007-2008, www.ScriptJava.co.nr All rights reserved.I went over to scriptjava.co.nr and there's nothing there, it showed a page that helpfully indicated that I could register this free domain. So I did, and I pointed it to w3schools.com. Anyway, there are things you can do yourself that are probably more effective, and definately more amusing, than just alerting the owners, even though that helps also.
That is very amusing. :)

I don't think that they will go that far. Many of those who are studying web design/development have heard of W3Schools, and they will recognize the layout immediately.

That is the best retaliation I've ever seen 'justsomeguy'.I actually laughed out loud from the registering it. Thats just great. Top notch touch.

True but I mean there isn't a huge gain surely? >_>
That depends on if you consider money to be a huge gain. In this particular case I doubt they are getting much traffic or anything, it all depends on how well they know how to promote their site, but there are tonnes of sites out there that are nothing more than stlen content that make money from AdSense or some other program.

Paid subscriptions, premium content, selling things (?), other types of ads (like term sponsorships).

• 1 month later...

Archived