Jesdisciple's Cyber Abode

Jesdisciple

Here's the site that I've built with enormous help from this forum: http://jesdisciple.110mb.com/index.php (And I'm not attached to the colors at all; that's just what came with the template + some colors I got from a program.)How do all the different components work for you? Particularly...

• Does the font-color jive with the header's background on each page? If not, do you have any suggestions?
  • Do you have suggestions for (tiling) banners that would work better on any of the pages?
  • Is the menu's way of highlighting your current location confusing?
  • How can I improve the color coordination? (Note that different pages have different banners; I think they should be left out of the decision.)
  • Of course, please mention anything else that stands out.

Thanks!

It looks nice. The menu colors could use a little work but other than that, it looks great. The menu BTW is very cool. 9/10!

I like the layout, needs more content, but I can't really read yor headers with the verses. You might want to have it with contrasting colors you can actually read them clearly with. I like the ly\ayout, I give it a 8.7/10. Good job, overal! KEEP GOING, YOU HAVE LOTS OF POTENTIAL.

A close friend told me a darker color theme would suit him better, but neither of us are designers...Nathan, do you have a suggestion for the menu?Ketura, which pages are you looking at? My other close friend and I tried to balance them well, but some were difficult.And content is definitely a good thing... I'm trying to decide what to put on my homepage.

• 1 month later...

Its comparatively slow-loading and the colors and the headers and side bars are messed up for me on opera. Is it about religion or some sort of religious blog?

Thanks for noting that... I need to return to building the site soon; I rotate between several hobbies as I get bored with each one.You could say that one of the two blogs is about religion, but I aim to keep that from being true. I'm among the Christians who distinguish religion as only one piece (the least important and most visible piece) of Christianity. Christianity is a relationship with God; Christian religion consists of the things Christians do to nourish that relationship.The site as a whole is about my interests (Christianity, coding, politics, and maybe bicycling soon).

I'm not a fan of the looks: the header images don't fit in with the blocks of colour below (particularly on the "me" page that I've seen); you probably want to fix the black copyright text to the bottom of the page so that no blue ever appears below it (ideally you make it so that it will then expand downwards when the content pushes it - that's not entirely trivial but still fairly easy to achieve); the navigation could really do with being more well-defined, the links look like text which is never ideal, and the JS effect that pops up on some of the links is not easy on the eye. The site could also do with some more padding, especially around the content and the navigation.If you get a header image which fits more closely with the colours of the layout, pad it a little, and push the black of the copyright down to the bottom of the page then it'll be fine for a personal site.The code is alright, but contains a few no-nos. For example, you use <br><br> as opposed to the semantically correct use of multiple paragraphs (<p>), there are more divs than are really necessary to produce the layout, using empty divs (e.g. "<div class="push"></div>") is usually frowned upon - you could try to incorporate whatever this does into another tag which also has meaning, you're also in a HTML doctype and use the XHTML-style <input /> in some cases. Apart from that there are some errors which lead to failing validation: http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&am....com%2Fsite.phpAnyway, hope that helped a bit.

Archived