I need help

sweinkauf13

I really need your input  

13 members have voted

1. 1. How hard is php? (1- completly easy; 10- Extremly Hard)

I don't know jack about javascript and I've build a pretty elaborate PHP/MySQL web site for my companies internal use. I'm not going to say its the best application in the world, but if I can learn PHP/MySQL, then ANYone can! :)

PHP is probably the first programming language I've ever learned... well... at least "truly"... I had Pascal classes before that, but I didn't really groked Pascal before I groked PHP. And what's even funnier - after realising PHP can also be used from the command line, Pascal started to appear even more simpler. So simple that for a moment I wondered why I never groked it before*.I tried JavaScript before PHP, but the whole OOP stuff confused me greatly... lines like

document.write(document.getElementsByTagName('body')[0].childNodes[0].style.backgroundColor));

confused me a lot, and they kept confusing me until a few months or so ago. To make matters worse, there is no (native) way I could detect errors and easily debug them, and any newbie like myself is doomed to have errors.PHP on the other hand has "echo" which I could insert anywhere and inspect what is going on, or print_r() I could use for arrays. It was a blessing!!! Now, I use var_dump() on everything instead, but even "echo" was a big debugging deal before that.* shortly after I knew... we have bad teachers, and to make matters worse, they translate all concepts in Bulgarian... I mean for example, it's really confusing when they tell you about "a variable of a logical type" instead of "a boolean typed variable", though there isn't really a good Bulgarian translation for the second one (the first one is a literal Bulgarian to English translation) or if they tell you about "entrance and exit" instead of "input and output", again due to a lack of a better translation. Core programming must be learned in English, or at least be translated into it (eg. when they tell us about "entrance and exit", let us know that the English phrase is "input and output").

Voted:6Reason: i think once you have learnt it it becomes easier and easier, i think the hardest part is rembering it, not i know what i can do although often have to rake threw all my other work to find the function that i'm looking for.I started learning php before anythink else, obiously it didn't go so well so i gave up. started to learn html and some css (very basic css) then started learning php again and this time it took off. now i don't understannd All of html, css & php but i know enought to do wht i want and if i don't i use the php website to find what i'm after. But in terms of learning start simple and once you understand databases thts pretty much what i have found to be the best use so far. and most common. Just in my view their could be another 'door' which i still havn't opened.

Thank you to all that have reponded to my question. I have a good idea on how i will approch this now and on that note, I now offically end this topic. Mods, you are free to close this topic.Thank you to all,Youngwebmaster

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you for all of your input, but i think i'll be doing the following:Learn javascript, then learn php. And then i'll be at this spot all over again.Thanks again,Young webmasterP.S. I'll probebly use books to learn the langauges.
I didn't do what i thought i would. I ended up just learnign php. Thanks and man php is really easy to learn.Oh ya and i did use a book,youngwebmasterAnd mods please close this topic

Archived