trouble finding a place to start

Guest Milton

I'm new to this and have gone through some tutorials on SQL, ASP and in the past also PHP. It seems to me that ASP will be a little easier to learn for me. I also read a tutorial about the design of a database, tables, fields, records etc. Now that I've read all thave I have not really a good idea of how to start using any of it. In the past I've played with phpMyAdmin and was able to get something going in combination with a test website. Could I use phpMyAdmin to make a database, and then use ASP to make my pages? Or do I have to use PHP? Are there other ways to start? I've downloaded and installed MySQL. I have IIS working. I don't know how to test if MySQL is working. Any tips to give me some direction would be really appreciated. I think if I have a start I can build on that with help from tutorials. The tutorials don't seem to cover how to get set up. Thanks so much! :)

if you have ASP and PHP setup on your server/pc with MySql you can use phpMyAdmin to work on the MySql database and then write your pages in ASP.I would start with deciding what data you want stored in the database. then design the pages around that to display the data how you want to.

Hi MiltonUsually in windows you have to start MySQL from the command line using a program called mysqld, so the command line is something like:C:>\path-to-mysql\mysqldwhich gets you a message that MySQL is up and running (or if you're like me, a bunch of error messages :-) )There's a good description of this at hereOnce your MySQL is up and running I'd suggest using a graphical front-end to set up your first database. Doing it like that is less frustrating than trying to do it from the command line, cos you can actually see what's happening. Mysql-front is the best I've tried - it costs, but you get a couple of weeks free, which should be enough to get a feel for the database. Sqlyog is free, but not quite as user-friendly. Hope this helps. Plantigrade