xhtml/html beginner questons

kid turned bird

hi, can someone please tell me which is the current/most up to date/most regularly used version of XHTML? does it change from browser to browser? do i need to ask the browser what version is the most appropriate to use when dealing with them?also, what have peoples experiences using html been like? is it really so unsound that it always comes out malformed? Finally If i there are any fellow mac users out there what is a good entry level text edit program? Thankyou:)

I think the most used "edition" of xhtml is XHTML 1.0 Transitional, because it's easier for backwards compatibility, and a bit more lose in what you can do with for example attributes, instead of using just css. If you know css, XHTML 1.0 Strict might just as well be the way to go. Maybe XHTML 1.1 even. Nothing is black and white. You must consider each case separately for how you want to make your page. HTML in and of itself is not unsound. Browsers are unsound and malform HTML documents. XHTML + CSS should be able to make you almost any formatting on your page, when combined with graphics (gif, png). There are still ways to get the same result in all browsers if you play around with your css code a bit and tweak a bit here or there.

If you want to get technical if you use xhtml 1.1 you will need to send it as xml not text/html (yes I am opening that up again) if you want to conform to w3c standards. All well and fine except IE6 does cannot read XHTML 1.1 unless it is sent as text/html. So I would recommend XHTML 1.0 strict or even HTML 4.01 Strict.BTW I was reading hte specification for the new XHTML 2.0...it looks cool but IE will have to get on board if we ever hope to use this. It will not have any backward compatibility for HTML so browsers that can't parse xml won't work and it will get rid of HTML forms and use XForms and XFrames instead of HTML frames...it is going to be very different.

Microsoft claims that IE7 will support application/xhtml+xml. Weather this is true or not we'll have to wait and see for when IE7 is released to the public.In the meantime to work with all browser, stick with XHTML 1.0 Strict.It will be another couple of years (probably) until XHTML 2.0 becomes public, right now it's just in a "working draft".XHTML 2.0 is ONLY fuction when being served as XML, so Microsoft *must* get more XML compliant. Luckly for them they have a while to do so.The XHTML 1.0 specification makes it clear that "application/xhtml+xml" is the only truly correct content type for XHTML, but it also allows websites to send the document as "text/html" as long as certain compatibility guidelines are followed. This provision only applies to XHTML 1.0. According to the specification, XHTML 1.1 must be sent as "application/xhtml+xml" or one of the other XML content types, not "text/html". Any website sending a document labeled XHTML 1.1 as "text/html" is in violation of the specification.So the "latest" release is XHTML 1.1, but if I was you I'd stick with XHTML 1.0 Strict.I hope this answers your question and any future questions you may have about the different XHTML DTDs. :)