XML in HTML - strange lineheight

mike_g

Hi, I'm making a syntax highlighter. It can output to html, which creates quite a bit of bloat. To reduce the file size I am having a go at using XML. I'm not sure if i'm doing this right; havent really used xml before, but FF seems to display the content alright except for one thing. The line height seems to be too big for some reason. Heres a test page showing what I mean:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"><html>	<head>		<style type="text/css">			code_x{font-family:courier new, sans;font-size:10px;white-space:pre;line-height:0;}			dft{color: #888888;font-weight: normal;}			kwd{color: #000000;font-weight: bold;}			nbr{color: #00FF00;font-weight: normal;}		</style>	</head>	<body>		<code_x>		<kwd>int </kwd><dft>main()		{			</dft><kwd>return</kwd><nbr> 0</nbr><dft>;		}</dft>			</code_x>	</body></html>

Could someone please explain what I am doing wrong, or how to fix this?Cheers.

Umm why are you using the XHTML DTD when your document obviously isn't XHTML? You'll need to create your own.Anyway, the line-height (without that line-height:0 property) seems fine, but there is a double line break after the opening brace - is that what you meant?

there is a double line break after the opening brace - is that what you meant?
No. every line had a big gap below it.
Umm why are you using the XHTML DTD when your document obviously isn't XHTML? You'll need to create your own.
Yeah removing the doctype sorted out the line spacing problem. IDK why I put it there; just ripped the top two lines from some other site since i never know what to put as the doctype and stuff. Cheers.

i never know what to put as the doctype and stuff.
If you learn how to make a DTD (e.g. through the W3School's DTD tutorial), you can make one that describes your new syntax-highlighting language.

Archived