checkbox multi selection

web-service-learner

Hi guys, I got a little problem with contact form which I've using for a while now.But it’s the first time I use checkbox in my form, the problem is when the visitor choose few of the checkboxes the php code sends only the last value with the message. For example the last value of the checkboxes override the previous ones please any solutions? I searched a lot really there wasn't a good code I could try. below is the html doc.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"  "http://www.w3c.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd"><html><head> <link href="files/style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"> <title>example checkboxes</title></head><body><div id="toppan"></div><div id="logo"></div><div id="topnav"></div><div id="contactform"><br><br><br><form action="handle_contact.php" method="post">   <label for="name">Full Name:</label><br>   <input type="text" name="name" value="" size="30"><br>   <br>    <label for="email">Email:</label><br>   <input type="text" name="email" value="" size="30"><br>   <br><br><p>How do you get paid for your service?</p>Cash<input type="checkbox" name="paymenttype" value="cash">Cheque<input type="checkbox" name="paymenttype" value="cheque"> Eftpos<input type="checkbox" name="paymenttype" value="eftpos">Direct Debit<input type="checkbox" name="paymenttype" value="directdebit"> Credit Card<input type="checkbox" name="paymenttype" value="creditcard"> Bank Transfers<input type="checkbox" name="paymenttype" value="banktransfer"> Trade In<input type="checkbox" name="paymenttype" value="tradein">Voucher S<input type="checkbox" name="paymenttype" value="voucher"></fieldset><br><br>        <label for="comments">Comments:</label><br>   <textarea name="comments" rows="10" cols="40" size="40" /></textarea><br>   <br>   <input type="submit" value="Send"></form></div> </body></html>

Are the users supposed to be able to click on more than one? If not, use radio buttons.If they are supposed to, then you should name them like this:name="paymenttype[]"It will return an array in PHP, like this:

echo $_POST['paymenttype'][0]; // Returns "cash" if selected, otherwise it returns an empty stringecho $_POST['paymenttype'][1]; // Returns "cheque" if selected, otherwise it returns an empty string...

No - just use the push operator ([]), and checked boxes will be pushed onto the array.

If you were to write $item = $array[]; as a function, it would look something like push($array, $item); where $item is "pushed" (i.e. augmented) onto the end of the $array. So when you write paymenttype[] as the name of the checkbox, think of it as augmenting each value onto the end of the paymenttype array.

:) ... did you try using the brackets [] on your checkboxes' names?Or why don't you just use a <select> if you have trouble with the checkboxes?

You can't send an array directly. In PHP you'll have to access each Payment Type array element individually, like this:

foreach ($_POST['paymenttype'] as $PT) {  // For each element $in the $_POST['paymenttype'] array, do the following  echo $PT . "\n";}

And like I said earlier:Are clients really supposed to be able to select more than one option?If that's not the case, use radio buttons or a select menu instead.

Archived