How to indent li items?

dakke

I have a simple list:

<ul id="navbar"><li>1.</li>	<ul id="navbar">	<li>1.1.</li>	<li>1.2.</li>	</ul><li>2.</li><li>3.</li></ul>

I would like to get it indented as in item1 indent 5px, item2 indent 10px, item3 15px,... (+5) Item 1.1. 7px, item 1.2. 9px (+2).Tried doing something like:

#navbar ul li {	padding-left:5px; }#navbar ul li li {	padding-left:5px;}...

No result. Anyone any suggestions on how to do this? And is there a way to embed a math function in it? Like 'Get previous indent and multiply with 2/3.

You haven't constructed your list correctly - the list item has to contain the child list. Also, only one element can have one id.

<ul id="navbar">	<li>1.<ul>		<li>1.1.</li>		<li>1.2.</li>	</ul></li>	<li>2.</li>	<li>3.</li></ul>

Your CSS should work now.

Thanks and that indeed does work. However, I obviously was not clear enough.What I want is a result that looks like this:1. (+2)--2. (+2)----3. (+2)------4. (+2)-------4.1. (+1)--------4.2. (+1)Where "-" is 1px, So: all parents should be positioned +2px relative to the previous parent item. All childs should be positioned +1 relative to their parent.What would be very very cool is to implement math function (eg each parent item should be previous indent * 4). I guess that one can not create a kind of dynamic indent (as in to write it all in one 'simple' statement). I assume that I should indeed write the css for each item. Is their a way to add such a code (something like 'padding-left: (ul li) * 2; and so forth...EDIT: This last is possible by integraing PHP into the script. Check this URL for a beautiful (cause it's so simple) way of doing just that. Embed a php file as a css (instead of css file), write your PHP and embed the css in it. PHP and CSS

Archived