link section

cranebill

Home Costs Apply Format Hotel FAQ's Contact us Weekend Bridge Coventry Hilton 9th - 11th January 2009Weekendbridge.com runs social bridge events for everyone, we currently have one booked for the second weekend in January 2009 at the Coventry Hilton, this is an annual event and is predominately aimed at a social bridge and those with an interest in Internet bridgesuggestions please for keeping the 7 links always in view. (sorry about spacing the stuff at the top should all be centred :)1/. I have tried a frame and that solves my issue, BUT, I am reading frames are not such a good thing to use2/. I can possibly use a table to keep the links in place3/. Are divs set as an absolute position an answer (if that is possible, I have not yet tried it, nor am I 100% sure that is correct)4/. looking at quite a lot of Web sites, most seem to have a link bar down the side, I notice I could use a java script for equal lentgh colums and just change the way my site looksWhat I would like is opinions on the way you would present the links in a web page and why, taking into account, the general look of the page and what is technically the best way to do it, I am sure that there are plenty of other ways to do this, but I am a beginner at all this, I am just looking for opinions how you would tackle it

Can you show us the code you use, please
<html><head><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css.css" /> <title>Weekendbridge Home Page</title></head><body><p class="center"><a class="two" href="index.html">Home</a>   <a class="two" href="costs.html">Costs</a>   <a class="two" href="apply.html">Apply</a>   <a class="two" href="format.html">Format</a>   <a class="two" href="http://www.hilton.co.uk/coventry"target="blank">Hotel</a>   <a class="two" href="faq.html">FAQ's</a>   <a class="two" href="mailto:wayne.mayer@btinternet.com&subject=Bridge%20Weekend&body=Hi%20Wayne">Contact us</a></p><h1>Weekend Bridge</h1><h3>Coventry Hilton 9th - 11th January 2009</h3></p><p class="article">Weekendbridge.com runs social bridge events for everyone, we currently have one booked for the second weekend in January 2009 at the Coventry Hilton, this is an annual event and is predominately aimed at a social bridge and those with an interest in Internet bridge </p><p class="center">I can not book the Hotel for you, nor can I Pay in Advance for any travel arrangements</p><p class="center">Please can I have deposits in by the end of November 2008 Thank you</p><p class="center">I can be contacted online usually in Bridgebase</p><p class="Center">My ID is Sceptic, alternatively contact me on 01908 613918 for further details</p><p><a class="two" href=http://www.bridgebase.com/ target="_blank">Bridgebase Online</a></p></body></html>That is the entire page

Are you for some reason concerned that you need the same code for your links at the top of every page? Given the limited nature of the project, and it's very basic ambitions, I wouldn't worry about it. The links work, don't they?If, on the other hand, you want to dress up the page layout some more, I would think about the overall concept before I worried about the links.One man's opinion. :)

Are you for some reason concerned that you need the same code for your links at the top of every page? Given the limited nature of the project, and it's very basic ambitions, I wouldn't worry about it. The links work, don't they?If, on the other hand, you want to dress up the page layout some more, I would think about the overall concept before I worried about the links.One man's opinion. :)
I have just started, I need to get the basics right, so it is usable as I actually have had something similar running for two years done on Front page, that is why I needed to get a site up quickly, I had, 30,000 hits last year (which is not a lot in the grand scheme of things), I have lots of thiings I want to add, i.e better apperance, colapsable lists, more information and completable forms, as I am going to be running events in other places at other times, I also wondered why a lot of web sites have a cloumn of links at the side, I did not want to use some of the templates for sites available on the net, I wanted to be able to build one myself from scratch, I also want to give it an apperance of its own, no idea how to do these things yet, but I will get there in the end. just looking for opinions, I also will be able to sell \CD's from the website at some time in the near future, I can currently do this via the postal service, but I want to expand it, so may be I need to add payment facilities and a shop and a photo page for members

Well, it's always good to learn more. As to links on the left side, that's common for the simple reason that the left side is always in the same place. Pages expand to the right and bottom, so they are too unpredictable for menus (at least in most cases). Top and left are always predictable. Since many designers use the very top for a banner, that usually leaves just the left. But there are plenty of sites that put a menu immediately beneath the banner, often using fonts, colors, and images in such a way that it feels like an extension of the banner. And in fact, it takes just a little bit of CSS to transform a list of links into a very nice looking menu bar. Even adding custom rollover behaviors is pretty easy.

Archived