Sign in to follow this  
music_lp90

Flash input boxes

Hi, I am trying to figure out how to get the value that is entered into a flash input box. Using the text tool, I created a text box and set it to Input text. I gave it an instance name of mc_length and a variable name of $length. How can I access the value now with my actionscript once a user clicks on my button named mc_draw?Here's the code where I need the input value:

mc_draw.onPress = function() : Void {	$dynamicName = "a" + $i;	$i++;	/*instanceName, layer, Xwidth, Yheight, Xplacement, Yplacement */  	newRect($dynamicName, $i, INPUT VALUE NEEDS TO GO HERE, 6, $placeObjX, $placeObjY);}

Thanks!

Don't use variable names, they are going away in future versions of Flash (I mean a variable name on a text box). Using the instance name, the text in the box is mc_length.text.

Hi justsomeguy, thanks for the help. I can get the value now, but for some reason it comes out completly different if I get the value from the input box or if I hard code the value right into the function that needs the value from the input box.Here's the section of code:

mc_draw.onPress = function() : Void {	$dynamicName = "a" + $i;	$i++;	/*instanceName, layer, Xwidth, Yheight, Xplacement, Yplacement, allowDrag */  	newRect($dynamicName, $i, mc_length.text, 6, $placeWallX, $placeWallY, $wallColor, "yes");}

If in the function I hardcode a number like 10 in place of mc_length.text, the rectangle that is drawn is much shorter than if I enter 10 into the input box and use mc_length.text. Why might that be?

Try converting it to a number, when you type something into a text box it's a string. Also trace the value out to make sure you're reading it correctly.

Yeah, Flash does interesting things with variables that frighten and confuse most people, including myself. I've seen situations in Flash where "1" != "1".