Firewall question

donedrum

I posted about a message about a site yesterday. The post was titled "Does this website work?" about a site: www.prestigeschoolofdance.comI see that many people have visited the site and I had no errors reported. Thank you. As I am not a said expert or guru, I am just curious. How would a business's firewall, for example a government agency's network firewall, affect the way web pages work. If one were trying to access this site from a computer on a network with a secure firewall, could it prevent this website from functioning properly for the user? I may be reaching as this doesn't make much sense to me, but it was suggested by an acquaintance as a possibility. Perhaps there are some sort of settings I am overlooking. Thanks again to all those who have taken a moment to look before! Please let me know if you have any thoughts.Thanks!

I think you're confusing a "corporate Firewall" with a "proxy server".All a firewall does is to block or allow access to/from IPs on certain ports, and sometimes also by hostname (i.e. by domain). As said already, the worst that a firewall can do is deny access to your site.A proxy however is more trouble. A proxy server acts as a single client that takes your site, processes it in whatever way it wants and delivers it to its clients. In your logs, you'd see just one IP address, but that actually represents everyone behind the proxy.What proxies sometimes do is to strip JavaScript and/or cookies for the sake of "security" and "privacy". Some may also insert advertisments in pages, etc. etc. etc.... it's impossible to predict what a proxy would do, as it's simply out of your control.

Archived