Create Labels by user input

music_lp90

Hi, I would like to have an input box that allows the user to type a word into the box then click on a button and have a movieclip created that contains whatever text the user typed into the input box. I know how to dynamically create a shape that's a movieclip, but I'm not sure how I can create dynamic text that's a movie clip.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!

Create a new movie clip object (you don't need to convert a shape, just create an empty movie clip), then create a new text field and add it to the movie clip. I think you actually create the new text field on the new movie clip, e.g. new_mc.createTextField (not sure if that's the correct method, check the reference in Flash).

Thanks Justsomeguy, I'm having trouble getting the text field to be inside of the movie clip, though.Here's what I've got:

mc_kitchen.onPress = function() : Void {	$i++;	$dynamicName = "label" + $i;	labeler($dynamicName, $i);}function labeler(dynamicName, layer){	this.createEmptyMovieClip(dynamicName, layer);	dynamicName.createTextField("my_txt", 1, 100, 100, 300, 100);	my_txt.multiline = true;	my_txt.wordWrap = true;	my_txt.text = "This is my first test field object text.";}

Thanks for your help.

dynamicName.createTextField("my_txt", 1, 100, 100, 300, 100);dynamicName is not a reference to a movie clip, it's a string that contains the instance name. You'll need to get a reference to the movie clip. Since you're creating the movie clip on the this object, you should be able to use that to get a reference to it.mc = this[dynamicName];Ormc = eval("this." + dynamicName);

Thanks, Justsomeguy, I've got it working now. I stopped using "this", because I didn't really understand how to use it, I was just guessing, but you helped me to understand better about making the correct reference.So it works like this:

mc_kitchen.onPress = function() : Void {	$i++;	$dynamicName = "label" + $i;	labeler($dynamicName, $i);}function labeler(dynamicName, layer){	var a = createEmptyMovieClip(dynamicName, layer);	a.beginFill(0xff0000, 50);	a.moveTo(0, 0);	a.lineTo(100, 0);	a.lineTo(100, 100);	a.lineTo(0, 100);	a.lineTo(0, 0);	a.endFill();	a.createTextField("my_txt", 1, 0,0,100,100);	a.my_txt.multiline = true;	a.my_txt.wordWrap = true;	a.my_txt.text = "This is my first test field object text.";	drag(a);	drop(a);}

Thanks!

Archived