Template Page

Guest GeneHunt

Guest GeneHunt

Hi,I have just started to learn html. It seems it could be very helpful to create a template page for a particular new site, with a default heading and footer, that would remain consistent. How easy is this to do using html etc? Using WYSIWYG you can externally say for example just design your own heading in a borderless table, apply a background colour and just copy and paste, but I would rather try coding.Another query for later down the line. I have seen various table creating options, but can't work out how to create or insert a 'striped table'. I have seen some good examples on other peoples sites where you can scroll up/down within the table and the selected row is highlighted. CheersAlan

How easy is this to do using html etc?
Without copying and pasting, impossible. You need a server-side language to include the "consistent" content and combine it with the dynamic information.By the way designing with tables isn't ideal :)

What Synook is suggesting is actually pretty easy, though. Almost everyone has access to PHP, for instance. Adding a header or footer from another file is as simple as this:<?php include("header.html") ?>where header.html is NOT a complete document, but contains ONLY the markup and content for, say, a banner image and some links. As a document fragment, it would integrate seamlessly into the whole document. AND when you want to revise that header material, you just have to do it once, and all the documents that included it will receive the updated content. PHP is an entire programming language, but to do what I'm suggesting, you just have to learn that one little widget in blue.If PHP is available but not switched on, it usually just takes a few clicks in your host's control panel.

Archived