XPath question

Guest antsh

Hi,I have a problem with using XPath. I have a HTML table like in the bottom and I want to make a function: getTextFromTable("columnName", "rowName"). Example:getTextFromTable("Address", "Bill") -> returns "Gate 22"At the moment my problem is that I can't get XPath to return a Number that would tell me what column/row to use in getTextFromTable.Is it possible with XPath?The table:

<html><head><table border="1"><tr>    <td><a href="#">Name</a></td>    <td><a href="#">Surname</a></td>    <td><a href="#">Address</a></td></tr><tr>    <td><a href="#">John</a></td>    <td><a href="#">Conar</a></td>    <td><a href="#">Gate 5</a></td></tr><tr>    <td><a href="#">Sarah</a></td>    <td><a href="#">Conar</a></td>    <td><a href="#">Gate 34</a></td></tr><tr>    <td><a href="#">Bill</a></td>    <td><a href="#">Gates</a></td>    <td><a href="#">Gate 22</a></td></tr></table></body></html>

You'll have so somehow associate the column name with a row position. In the example below, the "2" means the third column. If it's the first column (i.e. "Bill"), the whole "following-sibling::td[2]" will have to be removed.

//table//td[//* = 'Bill']/following-sibling::td[2]

(note: I haven't tested this, so it may not work... but it gives you an idea of where to start looking)

Archived