NEWBIE question

astralaaron

• 1 month later...

I'ved used bluej www.bluej.org/ which was built to learn and teach the language easier.Although i suggest just downloading the standard JDK fron java.sun.com instead and practicing via the command prompt.Is has improoved my skills since I started with java.

Hi Guys,I am currently enrolled in JAVA SE, but I want to know if which is better, JAVA or .NET? I also want to know if JAVA will be in demand because I am spending my own money to learn this, and it is expensive.I just want to be secured in a long run.Thanks

Well it all depends on what you want to do with it. There isn't a better one, these kinds of debates are based on personal experience and opinion.I took J2EE and Java in college but I prefer .Net because it suits me better. It is easier to use and not as much configuration. Of course I was using Linux. Java setup tends to be easier on Windows.Personally I do almost all Web Apps and I found that JSP and Servlets was just way too complicated, a good platform though. Java is, AFAIK, the most used language, especially in large companies. .Net is gaining momentum but a lot of people stay a way from it because it is from MS. Personally I love working with it.Another thing I don't like about is that JSP requires its own web server (won't work with Apache or IIS) making it complicated if you need support for other languages on the same hosting account.So yes, you are making a good investment. Java tends to have lots of opportunity and the chance to work at big companies.I would say Java is like C, in that it will be a round for a long time to come. There is just so much stuff out there in Java and it continues to be very popular among developers.

Another thing I don't like about is that JSP requires its own web server (won't work with Apache or IIS) making it complicated if you need support for other languages on the same hosting account.
aspnetguy: I would like to hear your views on this in more detail as I understand that JSP works very well with Apache Tomcat.

aspnetguy: I would like to hear your views on this in more detail as I understand that JSP works very well with Apache Tomcat.
That's just it: Apache Tomcat is not Apache HTTP server (which is what everyone uses). They are 2 seperate products. You can hack things together to make tomcat and apache work together but it is a pain in the butt.If I didn't have anyother requirements running Netbeans and Tomcat on Ubuntu wasn't too painful but I also do a lot of PHP work so that makes things tough getting a development platform setup. I gave up because it just wasn't working.

Archived