Introduce Coding Tuts

Xalor

Just an idea. Maybe we could introduce coding languages to the public. We could have tutorials on C++, Java, and other languages. If anyone knows even basic languages, we could start with those and start getting higher and higher starting from basic syntax to a larger syntax, BASIC is one way to start, or even BYOND

Java is a curious omission and might have a home here. The others are not particular to web design and probably won't have a home here. As for being introduced to the public, I think C++ and the others are pretty well covered in print and HTML.

Java is benificial, actually runescape runs online on a java platform, in case some people know a little bit about it. Why is javascript called "java"script?

JavaScript, despite the name, is essentially unrelated to the Java programming language, although both have the common C syntax, and JavaScript copies many Java names and naming conventions. The language was originally named "LiveScript" but was renamed in a co-marketing deal between Netscape and Sun, in exchange for Netscape bundling Sun's Java runtime with their then-dominant browser.
Javascript was first released in Netscape 2, which also included support for Sun's Java plugin.

Thanks for that bit of history, but seriously, W3 has potential to become one of the biggest computer tutorial website out there, much simpler than most books, and it has live examples which are the best.

Maybe so, but the owners don't take a very active role in updating the site. The site doesn't receive many updates or new tutorials, and I haven't ever seen the owners respond to a question on this forum. They could probably do a lot but it depends how much work they want to put into it and how much time they have available.

Myself, Jonas, and aspnetguy have no connection to the owners of w3schools.com. We are some of the original members of the board when it was first launched and were hand selected by the owners to volunteer our time to moderate the forum. We are not employed by them in any way and do not have a "red phone" to contact them with - so we do the best we can with what we have. We're lucky enough to have a solid member base that behaves themselves very well - we try our best to keep it that way.As for the suggestions, I think the other members have covered it pretty well - can't really add anything more to those points.If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Archived