mail to function

cranebill

Hi all, I am using mail to at the moment, I am not ready to progress to script solutions yet, please can I get some advice on best practice,Current code<li><a href="mailto:wayne.mayer@btinternet.com">Contact us</a></li>Proposed code<li><a href="mailto:wayne.mayer@btinternet.com""target="blank">Contact us</a></li>1/. does this work, opening the email in a new window as opposed to opening it over the existing one2/. assuming it does work, is it good coding/practice?3/. do you have an alternative I can use or look into?

Hi all, I am using mail to at the moment, I am not ready to progress to script solutions yet, please can I get some advice on best practice,Current code<li><a href="mailto:wayne.mayer@btinternet.com">Contact us</a></li>Proposed code<li><a href="mailto:wayne.mayer@btinternet.com""target="blank">Contact us</a></li>1/. does this work, opening the email in a new window as opposed to opening it over the existing one2/. assuming it does work, is it good coding/practice?3/. do you have an alternative I can use or look into?
When you do the mailto action, it will invoke the mail client you have on your machine. No windows will appear other than your mail client.

Guest FirefoxRocks

Both examples will open the link in the user's email client regardless of what you put in the target attribute. I don't know if the target attribute will affect the opening of GMail if that is the default client (with the Google Toolbar), but I think it will open in a new tab/window anyways.

BTW, 'target="_blank"' (note the underscore) is used as part of a page link, not related to mailto.

Archived