tables

thibo1025

I have a table in my page with a table header(th) and cells(td).I would like to know how to set the border size and color of each as the cellspacing, the margin and the align feature.only I do not know what syntax to use in the case of tables in css.

sample table

<table><tr><th>header 1</th><th>header 2</th></tr><tr><td>column 1</td><td column 2</td></tr></table>

CSS

table{   border: 1px solid black;}th{   border:1px solid red;}td{    border:1px solid blue;}

the equivalent to <table cellspacing="5" cellpadding="5"> for the above example would beCSS

table{  border: 1px solid black;}th{  border:1px solid red;  margin:5px;                  /*spacing*/  padding:5px;}td{   border:1px solid blue;  margin:5px;                  /*spacing*/  padding:5px;}

Hi,I was about to post a queston about table attributes myself, but this thread answered most of them -- thanks!But I will append my unanswered questions here. But first a little background.I am building a PHP function that will return a table, I want the users to be able to determine many attributes of how it will render -- fonts, background colors etc. In the old days, each attribute would need a parameter. Now, with CSS, I have one parameter, $table_style, that gets passed in by the user (with a default setting). Because this dnynamically renders I need to use the 'inline' method for applying CSS (or course). CSS is much cleaner and extensible. thus the table gets rendered as so:

<?phpecho "<table{$table_style}>"."(rest of table)"."</table>";?>

My question is:I can't seem to get "child" attributes to work here in this 'inline' CSS method. Specifically, if I wanted to have my table where each row has a background color of red, I want to use the "child" status of the rows and embed the background color of the rows within the $table_style string.I tried (after PHP has parsed it):

<table style="background-color:yellow; tr background-color:red">(rest of table)</table>

and I expect the rows to have a background color of red, but they don't.(overall background color of yellow worked)Can someone explain what I am doing wrong?Thanks in advance!Brad

I dont know how php works so there i cant help but css i can helpput this code before </head>

<style type="text/css"><!--tr {background-color:red}--></style>

and edit the table :)

<table style="background-color:yellow;">(rest of table)</table>

hope this helps :)and you should not higjack others topic's,just an advice :(*I did once, before i reread the rules*