My site (16 year old creator)

JC5

My site here:my siteI know on higher resolutions the search box goes into the banner and I am wroking around that. My site is currently partners with www.mypagerank.net and we will be building an awesome site hopefully!Try clicking the login box and stuff. I need to edit the css and stuff on it but overall I think that effect is sexy!. Its probably all n00b but I'm only 16 (ok turning 17 on october 14th and getting an awesome asus laptop!!!! (feel free to comment on the laptop too!

1. The site's kinda plain... especially the folder icons and white-and-gray background.2. I can't read your login box without highlighting it; there's not enough contrast between the text and the background.3. The style isn't consistent between the site and the forum (kinda close but not enough). (I know these forums are totally inconsistent with the site; that's not the point. :))4. The menus are also not consistent, and the forum doesn't link to the site.5. I think your integration between the site and the forum is a good idea - no need to reinvent the wheel.6. Does the seller have more than one laptop like that? If not, you'd better go ahead and buy it.

Yes he does. He currently "Has 9 available left" and I am going to buy it. On a different post I mentioned how I hated vbulletin with the cost. I'm thinking of me and my friend making forums. It would probably take the rest of the year but while we are on the subject what do you think a good name would be. If you were gonna make a forum site what name would you belike phpbbminibbsmf (new forum like vbulletin/phpbb)(Any critisism saying forums are hard to make can go in the trash can :)) lol

Oh I should also mention the reason there is no link from forums to my site is that I am trying out new forum software. Currently on my forum.devwebsites.com its SMF. Its designed like phpbb but the features are similar/equal to vbulletin. Its pretty sick@ the login box :) yes I know its hard I just started the css on that earlier..@the layout Thanks I'll be sure to try and make it more equal!

For my forum name I have the design planned out on paper and I can not think of a nameiboard.com takenibulletin.com takenibb (ibulletinboard.com) takenbboard.com takendoes anyone have a suggestion for the name of this forum? its going to distract me to no end if I dont get a good name ;( help would be most appreciated

Physical bulletin boards are made of corkboard, so how about Cork? An individual board would be a Cork board, and a logo would be easy to find/make. :)Probably not a great name, but that's why I'm a programmer.

LOL CORKBOARD.COM IS TAKEN!!!!!weird looking site O.o even with my minimal knowledge of css (i do backend development) i could make a better page then that...horrible background image and placement..no content on that page either

I decided on GBulletin.net does anyone not like that name?
You'd have to explain what GBulletin means, I guess. How about BBoardX/iBored or something? Just an idea, play on words. I viewed your website, and as somebody told me just the other day on my website, "I don't get it." What is your site? What's it for, and what can you do on it? What can you discuss on it? There should be an About on it or something... I ran into the same problem and was like, "What is my site about, you don't get it??" and had to write up an "About" page and post it on the site. In my case, mine is a mobile site, pertaining to only mobile users. You can see what I did at zerorubbish.com and clicking on "About." Might give you some ideas on how to "better" word yours, I believe mine could be stated better obviously!All the best,ST

right now I am working on a forum home page which can be found at www.devwebsites.comI also found gforums.com and i'll add a about page. I am still looking for better domains and i will go to godaddy right after i post this and check out some more domains Thx!btw how you like the layout so far? I still have to add some icons in the login forms but other then that its lookin great so far

Oh Thank you I saw bboardx is available! I will be taking that then since its an awesome name..bah im done with coding for today :) lol ill finish the icons tomorrow during class

If you're going for configurable in a forum script, I would go for miniBB.If you're going for a very good balance between configuration and style, I'd say definitely go with phpBB 2.xI remember the post where you talked about how expensive vBulletin is. For the record, I switched over to phpBB 2.x on my site now, just because miniBB didn't have a lot of the options I'd like.If you'd like to see what you can do with phpBB, take a look at these two sites:http://www.spudfiles.com/http://www.theopia.comJust some forums I visit quite often. The guy who runs both of them is pretty talented.

Ahh... I see.That's actually a bit more my cup of tea, because I know more about PHP than design. Don't know a lot of SQL, though, because I usually just use flat-file databases (usually XML).I thought you were just designing a skin and then getting a script like phpBB or miniBB to power it.Good luck!

Ha yea. With my forum this will be completely user friendly. If a person knows css they should be able to edit their skin. No more complicated xml like vbulletin. No more login pages where redirects that slow the users ability to go where they want (with vbulletin) No more ugly skins and layouts (with minibb and others), no more having to download plugins for stuff that should come default with forums (all forums ive seen so far) which include statistics, advanced login form, reputation comments (a form of it) and the big problem i had with vbulletin was with subscribed threads you had to download a hack to display the threads you posted in . There are 2 forums that I am gonig to mention here concerning that. One is codingforums.com which does not use that hack which is obvious when you post a thread that does not come up in your user cp and forums.devshed.com which does. I want this thing to be user friendly and I am so tired of crap forums being free and all good forums being 150 dollars. when I do finish make forums i will be posting on here for you all to test it and decide whether or not that forums worth payingmoney for. I wont be outrageous like the people on vbulletin. I may charge only 20 dollars for each download. Or I may not even charge people since i'm nice.just my 2 cents (ok maybe more :) ) lol sorry for all you people who actually read that!anyway right now im finishing the layout of the login form on my site and will be finishing the login system before the weekends over. take a look at it when you read this its probably done and looking good!

• 1 month later...

dude this site looks awesome im 15 btw never could make a site like that.

Archived