linux install?

aszxcv

i want to install linux so i can learn bash scripting from the terminal and also just to try another os beside windowsi was advice to backup windows before i install linuxbut when i try to backup my content i get 2njvtig.jpgwhen my cpu reboots it always check for disk inconsistencies but never resolved the issuei cant even backup to dvd's because of the issueshould i just install linux blind and hope for the besti have been trying to fix disk c error for the longest but it never get resolved

Instead of typing the command into the run box, type cmd into the run box. Once the window opens then type the command they say. Running a DOS command from the Run box will close the box as soon as the command finishes. They have instructions on that page about how to open the command prompt in admin mode too.

i logged in as an adminand ran chkdsk /f /r C:code but still when i go to backup i still get disk has an errormy pc has been doing chkdsk for about 2 months everytime i startup my pcso for whatever reason it isnt finding anythingi dont know what else to do

so you can't even burn DVDs??? If you can burn files to DVD get off everything that you want to save and then reformat or install Linux. If not, then you have 2 choices that I can see. 1) Take your PC to someone that knows how to fix it, that doesn't necessarily mean the local PC repair shop. By sounds of things it is a mess and will most likely fail sooner rather than later.2) Live with the fact that you can't save your data and reformat or install Linux.I don't want to sound condescending but you seem to be just an average Windows user and have a bit of trouble performing basic administration tasks. Linux is going to be very different than Windows and will be harder. I considered myself a fairly advanced user and have managed my own Windows Servers in the past but still found Linux very foreign and hard to learn. I have stuck with it for a few months and am starting to get comfortable with it but still have a hard time living in the command line which is necessary for a lot of configuration and above average tasks.I doubt you are going to be able to evaluate Linux in just a few days, it requires a longterm commitment to evaluate and give yourself a chance to get used to. If you don't think you can be without a fully functioning PC for a few days or more (believe me it can take a while to work out the problems if you are just starting out) then I would suggest either:1) get a cheap second hand PC to install Linux on so you can play around without losing your main PC.2) If you are comfortable with opening your PC case you can get a second harddrive for Linux and swap drives.3) If you are reformatting anyways or don't mind doing so then setup your machine to dual boot between Linux and Vista.

so you can't even burn DVDs???
i cant because i cant get the screen to advance due to the error on disk.
I don't want to sound condescending but you seem to be just an average Windows user and have a bit of trouble performing basic administration tasks.
i never debated this lol, but i can pick up things pretty fast. i am a nurse by trade so i haven't had much time to play around with os due to work and school just basic task such as microsoft works to get my school work done, but now i have alot of free time being i am not doing that anymore and i can dedicate myself .
By sounds of things it is a mess and will most likely fail sooner rather than later.
i hope not because i just bought my pc last year it is a duo core 2ghs 2gb rams .
1) Take your PC to someone that knows how to fix it, that doesn't necessarily mean the local PC repair shop.
i might have to go this route when i save up some money.

i actually fixed the corrupted hard drivei downloaded c cleaner, adwatch 2008, advance windows care fixed broken registry i no longer get corrupted c drive and i am able to backup
Ouch... out of the pan and into the fire... the next time your PC starts to show some anomalies, it will be because of those registry fixes. All too often, they also delete stuff they shouldn't, and by the time you realize it, no "registry backup" would save you, but would instead make things even worse.The question which aspnetguy asked was if you can burn any DVDs with any program. Don't rely on the Windows one! Get another one (there are a lot of free ones) and try to burn your data (not your Windows... just your data) with it. If even another burning software doesn't work, it may be for reasons other than your HDD.If you haven't abolished Windows just yet, may I suggest you try using Microsoft Virtual PC and set up Linux on a virtual machine?

i am actually holding off on installing linux the comment average windows user actually motivated me to study windows vista and be more proficient at that before i moved to linux. i am off to a good start i know a good portion of cmd commands etc... watching various youtube vids on various vista subject picked up several books on just vista adminstration. i have windows vista home premium so i am kind of limited as to what i can backup. i probably install linux late next year or not. i am starting to dig windows since i am getting more comfortable with it.

get another one (there are a lot of free ones) and try to burn your data (not your Windows... just your data) with it
any recommendation ?

any recommendation ?
Not really. I use commercial ones. I've heared a lot of good words about CDBurnerXP though. And don't be fooled by its name - it works on Vista too.Even though you'd spend more time with Windows (which I too believe is a good move btw), what about the VPC?

should i just install linux blind and hope for the best
Sure, if you don't care about your data.
You don't want to install blind without backing up. Trust me, I know from experience. I once ran a Red Hat installer and partitioned wrong, wiping out my Windows partition. To cap it all off, I didn't know where the Windows installation CD was...My recommendation for backing up would be to
  1. Find your Windows installation disc
  2. Get together the discs for your essential Windows software
  3. Make a list of any apps you downloaded and installed
  4. Locate any files (documents, movies, iTunes librarys, etc) and throw them onto CDs, DVDs, or an external hard drive.

Archived