How to get the right google hit?

aic007

The description <meta> tag will be used for Google, MSN search doesn't use it though, it depends on the search engine.The title will be what you put between your <title> tags. What you put in your <title> element is important, choose something that describes your page well.

To answer your question, no CSS has nothing to do with your search ranks. Search rankings are determined based on the content or your site, how well you use the proper tags in HTML, and how many other sites link to yours and the text in those links.

As aspnetguy says, CSS has nothing to do with your search results.On the other hand, contrary to what Ingolme said, I've heard and seen for many years that Google is the one that does not consider META tags for its rankings, instead, it 'sees' the content inside the body of the pages. However, I've seen many times search results descriptions based on the META Description tags in Google. Go figure.It's also been said that the other search engines DO consider META tags, like Yahoo, MSN, Ask... etc.

Google bases your rank off the content of your page but will display the meta description, if it is there, in the search results. This lets you present the exact wording you want in the search results instead of the blurb Google pulls from the first chunk of text it reads from your page.For example if you did not fill in the meta description and you have your navigation along the top of your page they it is quite likely that the description in the search results will be the headings of your navigation links...not exactly what you want.

As aspnetguy says, CSS has nothing to do with your search results.On the other hand, contrary to what Ingolme said, I've heard and seen for many years that Google is the one that does not consider META tags for its rankings, instead, it 'sees' the content inside the body of the pages. However, I've seen many times search results descriptions based on the META Description tags in Google. Go figure.It's also been said that the other search engines DO consider META tags, like Yahoo, MSN, Ask... etc.
I'm just telling this from my own experience. Google took the description of my site from my <meta> tag and MSN search didn't.

Archived