Online Gaming Clan Website

Renegade605

Hello W3 Schools community,I'd like some suggestions (if you have any) to improve my online gaming clan/community's website. www.theunitedfrontclan.comI want the website to look professional yet maintain a relaxed atmosphere appropriate to a gaming clan.Please Note: It doesn't quite work with FF yet, I'm still working on that.EDIT: HAHA, Success. It should work the same with FF and IE now.

Center the page.Make the background go all the way to the bottom.Ensure that text won't hang out of its column (see the left column).But I think the style in general is nice.

Do you use Firefox? I forgot to add a note that says how it doesn't quite work with Firefox. I'm still working on that part.If you don't use FF, what browser do you use? Because none of the problems you just listed show up for me.Thanks for the response.

Yes, I do use Firefox. And now my suggestion is: Fix it in Firefox. To me, that's even less professional than having those problems in all browsers. You're putting everyone but the majority (which happens to use the most infamous browser in the web-dev community) on the back shelf.But those problems also occur in Opera and Konquerer - that's almost all the standards-compliant browsers. I don't have IE or Safari to test in (I run Ubuntu Linux), so your site simply can't work for me.

Yes, as I said, I am working on it. It's proving to be more difficult than I expected. Some 'solutions' fix it for FF but screw it up for IE, and other things like that.Why can't all browsers just handle markup the same way? :)

My bad, I didn't see that note.The current "best practice" is to get a page working in the standards-compliant browsers and apply IE-specific fixes (and Microsoft provides several means to make only IE either ignore or heed any piece of code). For the most part, anything that works in any non-IE browser works in all non-IE browsers. So, to adjust my suggestion again, start over with that page and follow that practice - but don't put the new page online until it works in IE.

That may be the cause of the overflowing text; what fonts are you using?But as for the centering, I think I just have a wider screen than you (1280 x 800 @ 59.9). If that's it, you don't really have your page centered; it just happens to be the same width as your screen.

When was that ss taken? Because I have since fixed the centering problem. The ss I posted is on a 1024x768 pc (which is what the site was designed for) but it's still centered on my pc (1280x1024).The fonts I'm using are Trebuchet MS and Courier New, which (I assume, because of the 'MS' for the first) are Microsoft fonts that don't come with Linux. Do you know of a way to make the font transfer with the page, or is it better to choose a different font.EDIT: I've added Arial and Courier (for regular text and headings respectively) as secondary font choices. Hopefully all computers can display those.

Use generic fonts as a last option for your pages. E.g.

p {	font-family:"Trebuchet MS", Arial, sans-serif;}code {	font-family:"Courier New", Courier, monospace;}

Archived