Tutorial Suggestions

true911

**This is a repost -- I erroneously posted the original as a reply to a topic rather than as a new topic.It took me awhile to realize that the forum appears to be the only way to provide feedback. A few words to that effect on the home page might save people some time.I'm very happy with W3Schools overall - so much content on so many related technologies in one place -- just what I was looking for.As I progressed through the XML technologies, though, I realized a difference in the tutorials: the Try it yourself links were missing. I don't use them all the time, but when I come up against a challenging example, I play with them to see how the changes apply. VERY useful.They disappeared when I got into XQuery and also now, in XSL-FO.Now, being able to think for myself, I realized there's probably a reason. My guess (being new to these items) is that there is probably some technology, or engine, involved that powers these other than a simple browser or server. Or maybe I'm wrong. Truly, I still don't know - though I'll be searching forums for my answer as soon as I'm done here.My point and suggestion here is that, while you are summarizing and teaching a topic, perhaps you could say a few words about how and in what context it is used as well. I realize you may not choose to endorse particular products -- although you had friendly words for XMLSpy in a few sections -- but at least a list or example of the environment in which it is used would help the process considerably.I read past the intro for XQuery, finding it interesting (I've done a fair bit of SQL), but wanting to try it and not being able. I'd read another section I wasn't quite sure about, wanting to try it before proceeding, thinking "...maybe in the next chapter." But as I write this I still have some confusion.Don't get me wrong, I've learned a number of languages over 23 years, and I'll figure it out. But compared to the comprehensive path offered in so many other topics, this omission leaves one wanting, and unable to apply (and therefore, perhaps to learn fully) the information that IS presented.Thanks in advance for considering to include this information where applicable.

I don't know about the try-it-yourself examples, but then I would actually do it using notepad or another simpler program, you could look for some free ones on sourceforge or I use Dreamweaver, because its helps me to get it going without having to use the tryityourself items. Dreamweaver is expensive unless you get the cheap ones from amazon or friends as a gift.

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously fellas, be courteous and respectful of your visitors' valuable production time and at least put a "heads-up" at the top of the tutorial in big red letters saying,"To use the following language, you will need to have [such-and-such] processing engine installed on your testing platform."I used up a good portion of my day, yesterday, taking the following tutorials:Learn XSLTLearn XSL-FOLearn XPathLearn XQueryonly to realize I can't use them.

Seriously fellas, be courteous and respectful of your visitors' valuable production time
Hey, I'm all for constructive suggestions, which seems to have been OP's intent. But when someone's handing out something for free (with minimal advertising) I don't think you get to demand that they be "courteous and respectful" about it. Just be grateful it's here. The suggestion was made, and the owners will take it or leave it. Move on. :)

• 3 months later...

I have two suggestions:1. W3Schools.com could teach HTML coders a little bit more with a "marquee" section, I was completely clueless about anything about it until I visited a new HTML tutorial site (this is the BEST site for most code tutorials) and I saw the interesting word, so I clicked it. I then found that that's how people make falling text on MySpace. Coders can use this.2. I got so bored with HTML and CSS (not really but I have to have a reason for what I am about to say) so I went to try to learn PHP today, I LOVE it! I HATE that there are NO 'Try it yourselfs' like HTML and CSS and JavaScript and BASICALLY EVERY OTHER TUTORIAL (not yelling, just emphasis). Try it yourselfs are so good, especially W3Schools because you can edit, update, and preview! It has TWO windows! Who doesn't like that?

I have two suggestions:1. W3Schools.com could teach HTML coders a little bit more with a "marquee" section, I was completely clueless about anything about it until I visited a new HTML tutorial site (this is the BEST site for most code tutorials) and I saw the interesting word, so I clicked it. I then found that that's how people make falling text on MySpace. Coders can use this.2. I got so bored with HTML and CSS (not really but I have to have a reason for what I am about to say) so I went to try to learn PHP today, I LOVE it! I HATE that there are NO 'Try it yourselfs' like HTML and CSS and JavaScript and BASICALLY EVERY OTHER TUTORIAL (not yelling, just emphasis). Try it yourselfs are so good, especially W3Schools because you can edit, update, and preview! It has TWO windows! Who doesn't like that?
The <marquee> tag was never part of the HTML specification and good web developers never use it. It's not valid HTML or XHTML.They can only make a tryit editor of client-side languages. PHP is a server-side language, and the W3Schools server doesn't run PHP. Also, it would be too easy for people to hack their server if they ran PHP input by users. (Once you know a lot about PHP, you'd understand).If you want to test PHP, download a server like WAMP. Search for it on Google.

Ah, excellent. I just read through the XSL, XSLT tutorials, yesterday, and they were very good.My suggestion is to add some non-MSFT examples (something that doesn't rely on JavaScript or ASP or .net or whatever, but perhaps Python, Perl, PHP or some other more portable scripting).

The <marquee> tag was never part of the HTML specification and good web developers never use it. It's not valid HTML or XHTML.They can only make a tryit editor of client-side languages. PHP is a server-side language, and the W3Schools server doesn't run PHP. Also, it would be too easy for people to hack their server if they ran PHP input by users. (Once you know a lot about PHP, you'd understand).If you want to test PHP, download a server like WAMP. Search for it on Google.
Thanks.

Archived