Color

driz

Hi, im having some issues with color with images and css! Say I have an image that is a block of #FFFFCC and then stick that on a page with a BG of #FFFFCC it would look different, as if it's a different color? I have set the color mode to sRGB and double checked its color in Photoshop, and its the same! So why are they showing up different???

That happens with PNG images because of a problem in their gamma "correction".You should use another format, like JPG or GIF, or use transparency instead of the color to blend the image into the page behind it.

Yeah but say you had a PNG with a transparent BG and then had an element of orange to had to match another orange part of your website, it wouldn't match??? Why is this happening on the web in 2008? How come it hasn't been fixed :S

Why is this happening on the web in 2008? How come it hasn't been fixed
Don't blame the Web, it's you causing the problem :)Although these instructions are from Fireworks, try finding the same options in the Photoshop 'Save for Web' interface: Export your image as a GIF with 'Exact' palette, do not activate 'Remove unused colors' or 'Dither' or 'Interlaced'.

I used a png the other day because I had been told how good they were in a book and was most annoyed to find that the transparency on them didn't work in IE it just gave a hideous grey colour. I converted to gif and lost all of the image quality so I started again using a jpeg this time because the transparency was not needed.

PNGs are great. Internet Explorer 6 doesn't support transparency, but that browser is really old now (even though a lot of people stil use it). There's a Javascript fix for the grey color in the transparency, you'll have to google it though.For web graphics, using GIFs will work using an exact palette as long as your image has less than 256 colors (unless you have varying degrees of transparency). If you use PNG, just make sure you don't need a color to be equal to the background color of the page.But the best use of PNG isn't web graphics, but high quality images; like digital paintings, rendered vector graphics and company logos.

Archived