Converting Text File To An Array

taxmanrick

I know with the split() method, I can take a string and create an array. But I don't want to type in the string, I want to read from a text file because I will have about 65,000 elements to be put into the array. Any thoughts? Can this be done strictly through JS? I am really new to JS and HTML by the way.Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Here. I'll rewrite this in a more "self-commenting" fashion.

function AJAX(url, post_data) {	 var X = !window.XMLHttpRequest ? new ActiveXObject('Microsoft.XMLHTTP') : new XMLHttpRequest();	 X.open(post_data ? 'PUT' : 'GET', url, false);	 X.setRequestHeader('Content-Type', 'text/html')	 X.send(post_data ? post_data : '');	 return X.responseText;}

You still have to work your way through some ternary expressions, but what it's doing is this:Get an AJAX object correct for this browser;Open the object. If there is post data to be sent, open as PUT, else open as GET. DO NOT OPEN FOR ASYNCHRONOUS COMMUNICATION.Set the request header;Send the request. If there is post data, send it, else send an empty string.Return the server's response data.

i wrote IO to fit in a bookmarklet, so the arguments we kept as short as possible.U is the URL, V is not needed in your case. if you want to save data, V is where the data to be placed in the file at the URL goes.Don't pass anything to V.use like var str = IO("data.csv");then the file data is in the string str, which you can handle as you did before.

Archived