Making An Auto Increment As Sequence

anggwaponi

hello to each and everyone :) the table i created has no define PRIMARY KEY, INCREMENT, UNIQUE, & Constraints.i would like to ask our very-well knowledgeable Moderator(s) and to our guest to assist me again in my self-learning activities.my table has already been created. in fact, it has now some data which through the guidance (like Dad "D"), i was able to refine its view or contents.now, how can i make the column P_Id to be on its increment value ... what are the command(s) or syntax? its like it has 10-data but only numbered from 1 to 8. i didn't put or included the number 9 and 10 when i inserted new data since i want it that if add or change, i can do it in 1-single move :)P_Id LName FName Address City zipcode Countryhoping to be guided accordingly.cheers! :)

Who's the guest?I don't quite understand your question... do you want the P_Id column to be AUTO_INCREMENT?

Who's the guest?I don't quite understand your question... do you want the P_Id column to be AUTO_INCREMENT?
hello Synook and good day too :) yes, that is really what i meant ... i want that the P_Id column to be AUTO_INCREMENT :) so how could it possibly be done ... what commands or syntax would i issued or used then?and as i said, the table has already existing data. like in that P_Id column ... it has 10-data numbered from top-to-bottom 1-8. i didn't put number 9 and 10 since i want to find out that if ever i make an auto increment ... i can see or check it myself what i'm working or doing really works.hope u can teach or assist me.cheers! :)

to make it auto_increment, first you need to make it a key or in your case, a primary key by running the sql below:ALTER TABLE `test` ADD PRIMARY KEY ( `P_Id` );next, run the sql below:ALTER TABLE `test` CHANGE `P_Id` `P_Id` INT AUTO_INCREMENT note: change the table name `test` with your actual table name.hope that helps.

to make it auto_increment, first you need to make it a key or in your case, a primary key by running the sql below:ALTER TABLE `test` ADD PRIMARY KEY ( `P_Id` );next, run the sql below:ALTER TABLE `test` CHANGE `P_Id` `P_Id` INT AUTO_INCREMENT note: change the table name `test` with your actual table name.hope that helps
hello virgil :) after i issued the command line ALTER TABLE `praktis_art_101` ADD PRIMARY KEY ( `P_Id` );i got a result that states:#1062 - Duplicate entry '0' for key 1 what those lines means?as a background info, the contents or data in column P_Id are numbered 1-8 from top-to-bottom and has a word NULL both for both 9 and 10. as i said, i didn't put number 9 and 10 since i want to find out that if ever i make an auto increment ... i can see or check it myself what i'm working or doing really works.

You have to change those NULL values to something else. Remember, a primary key can't have duplicates!

You have to change those NULL values to something else. Remember, a primary key can't have duplicates!
hello Synookplease advise if my idea or my understanding in sql is correct.so does it mean that if i numbered the column P_Id like 1 2 3 4 5 6 NULL NULL NULL ... the command (am i using the right word) AUTO_INCREMENT will not work since their is a word NULL in the column.i thought that the command AUTO_INCREMENT will remove those NULL and will sequence the number from top-to-bottom ...likewise, if the column P_Id is numbered like 1 2 3 4 5 6 58 74 93, will it change to 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 if i used AUTO_INCREMENT ..kindly enlighten me.cheers!

No... AUTO_INCREMENT will automatically create a higher number in that field for every new row inserted. However, an AUTO_INCREMENT field needs to be PRIMARY KEY, and you can't have duplicate values for PRIMARY KEY fields.

No... AUTO_INCREMENT will automatically create a higher number in that field for every new row inserted. However, an AUTO_INCREMENT field needs to be PRIMARY KEY, and you can't have duplicate values for PRIMARY KEY fields
hello Synook :)so in-order for me to make the column P_Id defined as AUTO_INCREMENT ... i should change first those value that are NULL in the 9th and 10th portion (and so on .. and so forth) into its real number values? hmmmmmmi really thought that i can immediately make the column as an AUTO_INCREMENT. so does it mean also that i will make the column P_Id as its assigned PRIMARY KEY??likewise, what are the significance then about PRIMARY KEY, INCREMENT, UNIQUE, & Constraints ... can its function be interchanged???sorry if i sound like i just repeat what u said ... its not. i just want to make sure so at least i want to make sure and knowing that i'm just new to this aspect.in fact, how i wish i can alwys be on this forum for me to learned lots of stuff but i don't have much time since time also limit for me.cheers!

Archived