Php Certification (serious Topic)

TheShadowOfSouls

PHP Certification poll  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a PHP Certification?

• Yes
    • No

Some tutorials are not part of the currently offered certifications on W3Schools.com, PHP Scripting in one of them. They have a server scripting section that teach the following: SQL, ASP, ADO, and PHP, but only the first 3 are offered for certification. Why is that? I e-mailed them only to get this answer " Sorry, no PHP exam at the moment". Well to put it simply I would like a PHP Certification Exam, or for it to be added to the ASP Certification. If you agree with me then send me a post, think of this as a petition of sorts. The more proof that we know this stuff the higher the chance of getting a better future, after all, these days just because you say you know something doesn't mean you know it. Most places want something on paper that proves it and that is what my friends and I are after.

There are already quite a few well-known, respected PHP certifications that would carry more weight than a certification from W3Schools. The best to take is probably the Zend PHP certification, from the creators of the PHP interpreter.Edit: That poll should read "Should there be a W3Schools PHP certification?" - there already are many PHP certifications.

There are already quite a few well-known, respected PHP certifications that would carry more weight than a certification from W3Schools. The best to take is probably the Zend PHP certification, from the creators of the PHP interpreter.Edit: That poll should read "Should there be a W3Schools PHP certification?" - there already are many PHP certifications.
I didn't see any tutorial on their site. Do they only cert or teach as well?

First off, W3Schools.com has been validated by the W3C, if you think about it that holds more ground in the value and or worth of the certification. Second other than the exam, you learn it for FREE!!! Seriously who doesn't love that, and you can practice certain things directly on the site. Oh by the way, the Zend cert Costs a grand, just for the training, you get vouchers for the exam in it of course, but it's still a grand!!! I think a good many will agree will me that free lessons and a $60 exam is better than a $1000, most won't have that kind of money for it as well. I do thank you for your input tho, and I hope to get more from you and others.

First off, W3Schools.com has been validated by the W3C, if you think about it that holds more ground in the value and or worth of the certification.
1. What do you mean; "validated by the W3C"? They are in no way the same, and there is no affiliation between them.2. The W3C deal only with web standards. They have nothing to do with developing ASP.Net, PHP, Coldfusion etc. Therefore I at least would think that the manufacturers' certificate would hold higher regard.

exactly, W3Schools is a website started and maintained by a family in Norway. It has no connects or relation with the W3C. In reality W3Schools certificates are not recognized by any entity as far as I know. It only shows you understand the material covered int he related tutorial. I am not sure what value it would hold to an employer interviewing you other than, perhaps, you are good at self learning.

• 1 month later...
I think a good many will agree will me that free lessons and a $60 exam is better than a $1000
Depends on your definition of "better". I guarantee that a formal training course, however much you have to pay for it, is going to prepare you *much* better than reading a web page. Look at what the Zend course covers:
- PHP Certification: Why Certification; Exam Essentials; Questions and Strategies; Certification Topic Areas - PHP Basics: Embedding PHP; Variables; Constants; Data Types; Strings; Type Conversions; Operators; Conditions; Loops - Functions: Declaring Functions; Function Parameters; References; Variable Scope; Variable Functions - Arrays: Creating, Filling, Splitting; Adding & Removing Elements; Looping; Checking for Values; Sorting; Comparing; Merging - PHP and OOP: Classes; Properties; Methods; Objects; Static Properties Methods; Inheritance; Abstract Classes; Interfaces; Autoloading; Reflection - Strings and RegEx Substrings; Comparing & Counting Strings; Phonetic Functions; Strings and Arrays; Formatted Output; RegEx Essentials - PHP 4/5 Differences: Object-Oriented Programming; Other Areas - Design and Theory: Active Record; Factory; Iterator; MVC; Proxy; Singleton - Files, Streams, Networks: Resources; Output Files; R/W; File Operations; Wrappers; Streams - Web Features: HTTP POST & GET; Accessing Form Data; File Uploads; Cookies - XML and Web Services: XML; SOAP; WSDL; Create & Consume a Web Site; Debugging - Databases: Keys; SQL; Sorting, Grouping, Joins - Security: Rules; XSS; CSRF; Injections; Sessions; Secure Config; Uploads
See how many of those you can find in the W3schools tutorial. My college degree cost several tens of thousands. Do you think it would have been "better" if I just read some stuff online and paid $60 for a certificate to say that I read the web page? It sounds like you don't understand how complex PHP is. You can't be a professional PHP developer by reading web pages, I'm sorry but you can't. It takes a lot more to learn the theory and fundamentals of the language then you can get from any online tutorial. It might be good for you and your friends that you can get some of the basics for free, it's a good service they provide, but don't think that because you go through the tutorials that you're immediately qualified to start working on large projects. Programming is both an art and a craft, and it takes significant study and work to get yourself to the point where you feel comfortable using it.Basically, the bottom line is that if you expect to make any amount of money programming, then you should expect to pay for the training to get yourself to that point. There aren't any free online tutorials to learn how to become a car mechanic or electrician or any other trade, programming really isn't any different.Sorry if that's not what you want to hear, but serious topics require serious answers.

Archived