Search Engine For Website

Splurd

I've been tasked to evaluate what search engine to use, for internal searches of the site. And I've really got no idea how to go about doing this. (its like asking a car mechanic to design a formula 1 engine)Any one care to share their views and expereinces win internal website search engines, and what are the popular ones around?I know google offers a search application, along with another company called thunderstone. (found this article)But I dont know if that is what I'm looking for.wikipedia has a list of free search engines, but again I dont know if this is what I'm supposed to be looking for.So anyone with more experience can tell me, what exactly should I be researching.

Well then you can just search the database. For example, with PHP and MySQL:

<?php//Connect to DB$q = mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['q']);$result = mysql_query("SELECT id, title FROM pages WHERE content REGEXP '.*$q.*'");while ($page = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)) {echo "<a href=\"pages.php?id={$page['id']}\">$title</a><br />";}?>

Though you'll probably want to think up a more complex regular expression that excludes tags and bits of words.

Well then you can just search the database. For example, with PHP and MySQL:
<?php//Connect to DB$q = mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['q']);$result = mysql_query("SELECT id, title FROM pages WHERE content REGEXP '.*$q.*'");while ($page = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)) {echo "<a href=\"pages.php?id={$page['id']}\">$title</a><br />";}?>

Though you'll probably want to think up a more complex regular expression that excludes tags and bits of words.

lets just say due to the way the db is made its not feasible to do such a thing.Its most definitely not what they are looking for

:) why not? That is the simplest way... :) you can make the results look like the Google ones do if you want, with highlighting and all...Oh well, the other two ways I can think of is to get a custom search engine (from whichever search engine has best crawled your site I suppose) of create your own spider. The CSE is easier, but indexing the pages yourself is more thorough and as long as you run the spider for adequate periods of time more up-to-date as well.

Yep, but its not a internal search. They want it to be internal, rather then being linked to google.
http://www.google.com/coop/cse/ is the one I think he's thinking about...
Aye, thats is one of the options, but I'm searching for more. Pointy haired managers dont like paying for services.
I know of a search/spider that you can host yourselfit's called orca search. here's a link: Orca Searchthe latest version is 2.1Download Page LinkI have used personally and give it 5 starsit has a built in spider which can be set to periodicly automatically run.you should atleast give it a look.Hope I've helped. :)
Yes you have helped :)Just need to find more of these search tools

• 4 weeks later...

I have some code on various sites that uses Google to provide the search on the site.

<form method="get" action="http://www.google.co.uk/custom">   <input type="text" name="q" size="25" maxlength="255" value="">   <button type="submit" name="btnG">	  Search   </button>   <input type="hidden" name="cof" value="gl:0;bgc:#ffffe7;">   <input type="hidden" name="domains" value="www.domain_name"><br>   <input type="radio" name="sitesearch" value="www.domain_name"  checked="checked">   www.domain_name<br>   Search powered by Google</form>

If you are running the web pages for local circulation there are various tools like HouseSpider that can be used.

• 2 months later...

Archived