Html Comment Tag Confusion

gameboyz

Hi pls don't misunderstand as a html question. I'm reading the javascript tutorial when I came across this: in order to make the script "browser friendly" for older browsers, it's good practice to include the "<!--" and "//-->" right? I also read that the "//" is a javascript comment tag which is to prevent execution of the "-->" ..Then why isn't the "<!--" after the "//" too? And is it okay not to enter the "//" as it works fine (I experimented).

If you put // before <!-- it would appear as text in the browsers that display scripts, but anyways, I don't see a need to comment script. The only browsers that display script are very old. I don't think there's anybody who uses them anymore.

If you put // before <!-- it would appear as text in the browsers that display scripts, but anyways, I don't see a need to comment script. The only browsers that display script are very old. I don't think there's anybody who uses them anymore.
Okay, but for browsers which are very old which can't support javascript, why is there a need for // before the -->? Since javascript is not supported, the --> won't be executed right?

Okay, but for browsers which are very old which can't support javascript, why is there a need for // before the -->? Since javascript is not supported, the --> won't be executed right?
Only the comment tags are for the older browsers. The // is for almost-modern browsers that DO read the javascript. Without the slashes, the script would try to execute the closing comment. Truly modern browsers seem to understand the closing comment tag without the slashes.But I'm with Ingolme. I don't mess with the comment tags anymore. No problems.

Archived