Does Anyone Know Why There Is A Gap In Ie But Not Ff

tyc5026

Hello.In the process of making a new layout.Does anyone know why there is two gaps in the table?http://slicktraders.t35.com/Only happens in IE and not Firefox
I can't get to your site (blocked by the firewall here), but in general IE doesn't follow the rules. To fix that 1) make sure you have a DOCTYPE, 2) make sure you reset the css defaults and 3) look at the page in IE using IEDeveloper (free development tool).

Thanks. But how do i do the stuff u just told me? is there a page that will treach you.

I can't get to your site (blocked by the firewall here), but in general IE doesn't follow the rules. To fix that 1) make sure you have a DOCTYPE, 2) make sure you reset the css defaults and 3) look at the page in IE using IEDeveloper (free development tool).

You're not going to like this, especially on Christmas Eve. But this is the truth. If you expect consistent results, and if you expect anyone to be able to give you worthwhile assistance, you will have to re-learn a bunch of HTML.Yeah.Laying out with tables is history. No one does it anymore. It always leads to problems that cannot be fixed. We use divs and css.You need to change some old-fashioned tags, like <font> and <center>, to css equivalents. Same thing with presentational attributes in your tags, like width, height, background, etc. All must be converted to css equivalents.The big cross-browser problem has to do with what's called the box model. A box is any container, like a div or a table cell. A box with no borders, margins, or padding will look the same in all browsers. But add any of those, and IE does them one way, and everyone else does it the right way. UNLESS you are in standards-compliant mode.You get in standards-compliant mode by doing two things: (1) use a strict doctype and (2) write your HTML correctly. A transitional doctype or any HTML errors will kick IE into quirks mode. And then your boxes won't work right.Among other things, different box-models create gaps. The thing you're originally trying to fix here.The other thing is that when you go asking experts for help, they can only offer solutions if things are already going in the right direction. There are a million ways to patch and patch and patch, and some of them work, and most of them don't. But there are only a few ways to do things correctly and get the consistent results that you want. That's where we can help.I hope I don't sound like a real downer. You're probably doing what you learned how to do in 1998. We all did it then. It's just time to move on.:)

Yeah, I always forgot to ask why does the IE do not fully support the standards? Do bugs really part of microsoft product? I mean if you buy microsoft product you'll get a bug free?

It's not about bugs. It's about history. When the Web was new, and Netscape was new, HTML was very limited. But users were excited, so Netscape got in the habit of adding technologies that went beyond the W3 standard. When MS entered (late), they too decided their browser should do more than the standards.This was not all bad. Concepts like Frames, layers, and even AJAX got started this way, and eventually became incorporated into the standard. I think even Javascript got started this way. And it was what users wanted, so it paid. The W3 standards were growing, but too slowly for people who wanted the Web to do more, more, more cool stuff.But many proprietary items did not become part of the standard.As of IE7, the difference is this. All the other browsers decided to comply with the W3 standards. IE mostly did too, except sometimes where they had a thing that already had the functionality of the standard, but a different name. And of course the notorious box-model, which is the source of much grief.But IE8 is much more compliant.

Archived