@import From Within A Css Sheet

chadmichael

I've never used an @import directive from within a CSS sheet itself. I want to reference a second sheet from the first sheet. What little documentation I can find suggests that this is a nobrainer, but the scant coverage of this in the CSS books that I generally use makes me wonder if this technique is arcane, perhaps due to some blemishes in the browser compatibiility arena.Does anyone use the @import directive from within a CSS sheet to reference a second sheet? Does anyone know of any issues with this technique?Note, I'm not talking about the use of the <style> @import (blahblay.css) </style> from within my HTML page.

Two issues: (1) the import rules have to be the first text in a style sheet; and (2) each rule must end with a semicolon.A non-issue but sometimes forgotten: we're still cascading, so you still have to bear in mind inheritance and overwriting.I've been recommending the use of this rule for people who use a lot of server-side includes and want to associate a unique style sheet with each include file. Upkeep is easy if you have an include file named menu.php and css for that file in menu.css.

In simple words, the @import directive is perfectly safe to use nowadays. The only issues with using this 'include' method are in the past now, in other words, very old browsers like IE5, Netscape 4 and earlier, did not understand the @import directive.I personally use this method all the time in all my projects and I have no issues whatsoever.I use this method when I have several style sheets, I import all those style sheets into my 'main' CSS file and in the <head> of the HTML documents I only have to write one single line to call all the CSS files.For example, I have three CSS files:top-navbar.css (the top nav bar can be extremely complex sometimes, so when the project demands it, I make a separate CSS file for easy updates)inner-pages.css (the home page and inner pages are usually very different layout-wise, so I treat them as separate 'entities')'project-name'-base.css (the MAIN CSS file for the site)And in the <head> section I write only one line to call all three CSS files:<link href="/css/'project-name'-base.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" /> (this is an include as well, but that's another topic)Inside 'project-name'-base.css, I write:

@import url("top-navbar.css");@import url("inner-pages.css");

And that's it.Hope this helps.

Archived