Site Review

Viper23

The general appearance is nice. It is maybe a bit monochromatic -- occasional spot color can draw attention to an idea you want to emphasize, or even just add interest to the page.I notice a lot of spelling and grammatical errors in your text. As a potential client, that would turn me off right away.And I hope you're showing us preliminary mock-ups. No one wants a page that's just one big image. :)

The general appearance is nice. It is maybe a bit monochromatic -- occasional spot color can draw attention to an idea you want to emphasize, or even just add interest to the page.I notice a lot of spelling and grammatical errors in your text. As a potential client, that would turn me off right away.And I hope you're showing us preliminary mock-ups. No one wants a page that's just one big image. :)
Where did I have spelling errors?

I appreciate the feedback, and as far as the spelling and grammar. The only thing I can maybe think of would be "to". I was kind of wondering about web site, because I thought it was one word, however, my spell check was saying two, so I changed. I'll admit I'm not the best speller, but who really is, ha-ha?Again, thanks for the feedback.P.S. That design is actually the finished designed, but I am working on a second phase of it with the navigation links as rollovers. Not much color will change with it though, but once I have it finished I would like some feedback on that one as well.Thanks,Matt

As far as I'm concerned about the second illustration, you should improve the black menu integration. But, that should be better to add a text too (that permit to see a better preview).If you want to add a false text you can use this site : http://www.lipsum.com/.To sum up, It's quite nice but I think that you can do better. And to conclude, I prefer the first design.

I like it overall. I noticed sometimes you spell out "web design" and sometimes you use the initials.Is the gap on the home page bottom intended?
Were you talking about the gap between "Join us today and become a part of the MLH Web Designs family" and the image below it?Also, I have an updated version for the site with a design in the background with different shades of blue. Let me know what you like or dislike about this one.http://www.mlhwebdesigns.com/development/index_demo.jpg

The color is nice but even the body text is blue and honestly I feel blue. maybe I advise you to change the body text to black or dark gray. the page is somewhat flat.

I changed the design, and would like comments on this one. I would also like to have someone explain to me why the coding is not working right with Fire Fox if at all possible. I'm use to using tables and not DIV.Thanks for the comments and the help,Matt

I changed the design, and would like comments on this one. I would also like to have someone explain to me why the coding is not working right with Fire Fox if at all possible. I'm use to using tables and not DIV.Thanks for the comments and the help,Matt
It looks OK to me in FF. What is the problem I should be looking for?

It looks OK to me in FF. What is the problem I should be looking for?
For me the middle image is not showing like it should. Are you able to see it on your computer?

For me the middle image is not showing like it should. Are you able to see it on your computer?
There only appears to be a center image.BTW, you hide "MLH Web Designs' solutions are designed to meet any type of business or your needs." at the top of the page. Why? SEOs might ding it for that. Some designers hide a lot of key words that way and SEOs are on to that trick.

Pretty good changeover from the previous Image-mapped version.1.) Use a wrapper div having margin: 0 auto; instead of the <center> tags.2.) Add a Footer to the page with local contact info, copyright, email stuff, phone number, etc.3.) the flash is only running once and stopping. is that right?4.) Image sizes could still be reduced in size with very little quality lost.5.) use a different technigue for the nav bar. That image is about 38K and could be done with a very small repeating image instead in order to reduce the file download size.Check your page here for further information.Overall, about a 7.5. I like the layout, Nice and clean. Good Graphics in the header. Work on the download size of the Images and the nav bar to boost that number up to at least a 9 in my books.

Pretty good changeover from the previous Image-mapped version.1.) Use a wrapper div having margin: 0 auto; instead of the <center> tags.2.) Add a Footer to the page with local contact info, copyright, email stuff, phone number, etc.3.) the flash is only running once and stopping. is that right?4.) Image sizes could still be reduced in size with very little quality lost.5.) use a different technigue for the nav bar. That image is about 38K and could be done with a very small repeating image instead in order to reduce the file download size.Check your page here for further information.Overall, about a 7.5. I like the layout, Nice and clean. Good Graphics in the header. Work on the download size of the Images and the nav bar to boost that number up to at least a 9 in my books.
Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering if you looked at that page in FF, because like I said the middle image was not showing, well for me anyway. I haven't made the footer image yet. The flash is only one repeat, and I have a newer version of it that is a little bit better with a second description tag I guess you would call it. I'll work on the navigation as well.Thanks,Matt

You should think of the consequences of using an image map instead of conventional methods to make your website.The biggest concern is that search engines don't see any information on your site. The only thing they see is "MLH Web Designs' solutions are designed to meet any type of business or your needs."Blind people won't get any information on your site either, because voice web browsers don't see any text there.I'd never recommend using only images in a website, and not everybody has Flash installed either so you need to think of alternate content, like a real HTML form, instead.Also, your page doesn't validate as HTML 4.01 Transitional in the W3C validator.

You should think of the consequences of using an image map instead of conventional methods to make your website.The biggest concern is that search engines don't see any information on your site. The only thing they see is "MLH Web Designs' solutions are designed to meet any type of business or your needs."Blind people won't get any information on your site either, because voice web browsers don't see any text there.I'd never recommend using only images in a website, and not everybody has Flash installed either so you need to think of alternate content, like a real HTML form, instead.Also, your page doesn't validate as HTML 4.01 Transitional in the W3C validator.
I'm working on making it XHTML either 1.0 Strict or 1.1 haven't decided which I want to use yet. I'm going to try and making the contact form into something else if I can figure out how too. If I make it with HTML wouldn't I still need to use PHP or something?

I agree with what's been said. I'll add these points.1. The upper half defines a rectangular space pretty seriously. There are borders, and the edge of the photo likewise functions as a border in the viewer's mind. But then the space loses definition, which I find disorienting. I'd continue to use some sort of border, as I believe your original designs did.2. The flash is a cool effect. More important, I like the logo better than the rope thing. It wouldn't lose much if you turned it into a conventional image. You might even explore an animated gif, though they can get kind of big if you don't do it right.3. I guess you've added the non-breaking space at the start of each paragraph as a kind of indentation. A one-character indentation looks weird. A better way to indent is with the CSS text-indent property. But I don't recommend even that in your case. The white space between paragraphs is all the visual cue your reader needs. So I'd just dump the indentation altogether.

I agree with what's been said. I'll add these points.1. The upper half defines a rectangular space pretty seriously. There are borders, and the edge of the photo likewise functions as a border in the viewer's mind. But then the space loses definition, which I find disorienting. I'd continue to use some sort of border, as I believe your original designs did.2. The flash is a cool effect. More important, I like the logo better than the rope thing. It wouldn't lose much if you turned it into a conventional image. You might even explore an animated gif, though they can get kind of big if you don't do it right.3. I guess you've added the non-breaking space at the start of each paragraph as a kind of indentation. A one-character indentation looks weird. A better way to indent is with the CSS text-indent property. But I don't recommend even that in your case. The white space between paragraphs is all the visual cue your reader needs. So I'd just dump the indentation altogether.
gif is much better especially logo with a simple one way animation on it. Size will be like 20-60kb on my estimate, as Deirdre's Dad said if you do it right. You can do it on Adobe image ready for like 3-4 frames with no loops.

Archived