Minimum Code For Database Work

justsomeguy

It's been a while since I've worked with C#, what's the minimum code necessary to retrieve a single value from get or post and insert it into a database table? Do I need to set up a whole .NET application and do any install on the server, or can I just write the code and copy a single file over like with ASP classic? Do I need more than one file?

Something along these lines is the minimum amount of code you'll need.

// Hard code your connection string...string connectionString = "";// Or read it from a config file...//string connectionString = ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["DatabaseName"].ConnectionString;string commandText = "SELECT * FROM Table1 WHERE ID=@ID";using(SqlConnection connection = new SqlConnection(connectionString)){	SqlCommand command = new SqlCommand(commandText, connection);	command.CommandType = CommandType.Text;	command.Parameters.AddWithValue("@ID", Request.QueryString["MyGetParameter"]);	try	{		connection.Open();				SqlDataReader reader = command.ExecuteReader();		if(reader.Read())		{			// get at all your data here using reader["ColumnName"].		}	}	finally	{		command.Dispose();		connection.Close();	}}

If you set up a .NET web application, all you'd have to do is copy over the compiled DLL(s) when you make updates to the application.

Cool, thanks for taking the time.
Pah, any time. It might also be a good idea to close and dispose the reader, I forgot to add that in there. Anything that's inside the "using" block will automatically be disposed, but it doesn't hurt to call it.
	try	{		connection.Open();				SqlDataReader reader = command.ExecuteReader();		if(reader.Read())		{			// get at all your data here using reader["ColumnName"].		}		reader.Close();		reader.Dispose();	}

Archived