Looking For A Roll-over Effect

Steven

Hi there,I'm looking for a simple way to present text in a separate <div> on a rollover.Here's the page I'm working with: http://www.designingsigns.com/new1/services.htmlThe page is split into two columns (<divs>). The right column contains a list of services; while the left column is basically blank. What I would like to happen, is upon rolling-over a listed service in the right column, a picture and a paragraph of text to appear in the left column. What is the best way to do this? I'm not sure where this should be placed (what forum), so I chose JavaScript. My first thought was iFrame, but I'd like to stay away from frames if at all possible. I'm pretty much just an XHTML/CSS guy, so if it could be kept relatively simple (coding-wise) that would be great :)Thanks in advance!

Have your links set up like this (you could live without the IDs, but they might come in handy):<a href="java script:void(0)" id="something_0" class="whatever">some text<span class="something">PUT ANY ELEMENTS YOU WANT IN HERE</span></a><a href="java script:void(0)" id="something_1" class="whatever">some text<span class="something">PUT ANY ELEMENTS YOU WANT IN HERE</span></a><a href="java script:void(0)" id="something_2" class="whatever">some text<span class="something">PUT ANY ELEMENTS YOU WANT IN HERE</span></a>etc.CSS like this (just the bare bones):span.something {   position: absolute;   top: something;   left: something;   display: none;}In other words, all spans of that class occupy the same coordinates, wherever you want, and all are initially invisible. You could have a unique class to modify the coordinates of individual spans if that works better. I wasn't clear on the exact look.a.whatever:hover span.something {   display: block;}So when you rollover the link, the span appears exactly where you want it. No JS required.

EDITED THE "LEFT" DEFINITION SO IT WORKS

Hehe, I did notice that; however, it doesn't help moving it over to the other <div> :)I tried using "right," and tried moving the "something span" over to the other div but then it broke. That span needs to be inside the <a> tag?

As I wrote the CSS, yes, the span needs to be inside the <a>. The trick depends on absolute positioning. It's still "in" the original div; only its placement isn't.Post your code, markup and css. A link would be better.

Here's my test page. It works in Firefox 3 and IE7. Now, you're problem is that it's showing up, but in the wrong place? I'm asking because I haven't done anything with z-index, which you'd need to add if there's anything already in the destination space and the span needs to cover it.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"   "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"><html>	<head>		<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=iso-8859-1">		<title></title>		<style type="text/css">			div {				width: 200px;			}			span.something {			   position: absolute;			   top: 100px;			   right: 100px;			   display: none;			}			a.whatever:hover span.something {			   display: block;			}				</style>	</head>	<body>		<div>			<a href="java script:void(0)" id="something_0" class="whatever">some text<span class="something">PUT ANY ELEMENTS YOU WANT IN HERE</span></a><br>			<a href="java script:void(0)" id="something_1" class="whatever">some text<span class="something">PUT ANY ELEMENTS YOU WANT IN HERE</span></a><br>			<a href="java script:void(0)" id="something_2" class="whatever">some text<span class="something">PUT ANY ELEMENTS YOU WANT IN HERE</span></a><br>				</div>	</body></html>

Archived