Audio Tag In Html 5

Audio Design

I'm relatively new to HTML but am in the process of developing a site to promote a recording studio venture.I tried to link a wav audio file using the <audio> tag as set out on the W3Schools tag definition page but it was not recognised in either IE or mozilla firefox (the website is still under construction in notepad) soI continued to use the anchor tag eg, <a href="moog sample 1.wav">Moog sample1</a> which plays the file(although it opens a new page with a QT play bar instead of just playing the file as it stands on the original page).I have ordered some literature to help gain a better understanding for embedding audio but are there any links on this forum that gives a more detailed overview between the various audio embed methodsAny help much appreciatedNB I put the following detail between the 1st <html> & <head> tag to confirm my html set up. Is it out of date?<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en">

HTML 5 is still a working draft and is not yet 'launched' and ready for use.Plus the doctype you've mentioned there is XHTML 1.0 Strict.Your best way of embedding audio is via flash player, with the option of having play/pause and volume controls. From a usability point of view, its best to leave it to the user on whether they want to hear the music, so dont auto play the file.:)

thanks for the reply. I've just got the 'Bulletproof Web Design' book by Dan Cederholm which seems to have consistently good reviews from various sources. Hopefully will have more learned posts in future!

HTML 5 is still a working draft and is not yet 'launched' and ready for use.Plus the doctype you've mentioned there is XHTML 1.0 Strict.Your best way of embedding audio is via flash player, with the option of having play/pause and volume controls. From a usability point of view, its best to leave it to the user on whether they want to hear the music, so dont auto play the file.:)

Archived