Pulling From The Database

awitt

So, it's been a while since I have developed in Java, and I need to get back on my feet. There's a small program that i need to create using Java. If it's pertinent, my IDE is good ole Eclipse. What I need to do is create a scheduled task to run once a week - this I know can be set up using the Scheduled Tasks Utility. But the program has to open a connection to the DB, pull some information based on a query, and then store that data in the appropriate rows and columns of an excel spreadsheet. Anyone think they can push me along here and get me started? I know what i'm doing, but, like I said, it's been a while, and I need to be pointed in the right direction here to start out. Thanks in advance guys.

So, it's been a while since I have developed in Java, and I need to get back on my feet. There's a small program that i need to create using Java. If it's pertinent, my IDE is good ole Eclipse. What I need to do is create a scheduled task to run once a week - this I know can be set up using the Scheduled Tasks Utility. But the program has to open a connection to the DB, pull some information based on a query, and then store that data in the appropriate rows and columns of an excel spreadsheet. Anyone think they can push me along here and get me started? I know what i'm doing, but, like I said, it's been a while, and I need to be pointed in the right direction here to start out. Thanks in advance guys.
For job scheduling, there's the Java Timer API (java.util.Timer) and there is also Quartz, an open source job scheduling system.For the DB connection there's JDBC and there are also open source persistence frameworks out there like iBatis and Hibernate.There's also a framework called Spring (you may have heard of it) that has a scheduling system and JDBC database access built into it. Hibernate and iBatis can also be integrated into a Spring application if you choose to go with either over JDBC. It's one of the more well known and widely used open source J2EE frameworks.As far as exporting the data to an excel file, I've never tried it but it'd be interesting to see how that's done. I'll see if I can look into that a little more.

Archived