Basic Mysql Help

skaterdav85

sorry if this is a newby question, but im new to mysql. So I installed MySQL, but i dont know how to access the mysql command-line utility. how do i get there?I also installed XAMPP on my other computer and am using phpmyadmin to create a mysql database. does that have a mysql command line prompt instead of teh GUI?Thanks!

.sql files are basically pre-written lists of SQL queries, that can be executed all at once. They are in text/plain format - you can open them in notepad and have a look.

An SQL file will have all the SQL commands to edit, update, delete, insert, etc.You can use these commands in a GUI for MYsql (example phpmyadmin). Simply cut and paste the code into the SQL input area within phpmyadmin's SQL tab.

An SQL file will have all the SQL commands to edit, update, delete, insert, etc.You can use these commands in a GUI for MYsql (example phpmyadmin). Simply cut and paste the code into the SQL input area within phpmyadmin's SQL tab.
in php/mysql development, do most people use the GUI or the command line utility?

You can run a file with SQL commands using the command line like this:mysql < c:\path\to\file.sqlIf you need to specify a database, username, and password, it's like this:mysql -h localhost -D [database_name] -u [user_name] -p[password] < c:\path\to\file.sql

do i use these to create the db examples?
The best way to figure that out is to open the files and see what the code says.

Archived