Any Replace(2.0) Function In 1.0

HiI have an XML file with an element at 3rd level having an attribute (a string of text). The text has multiple occurance of a special character & and I would like to replace all & with \T\. I am working in 1.0 version of XSLT. Can anyone please tell me if there is a function similar to replace in 1.0. If not, can you tell me how to do the replace by a sample example. I am trying to convert the string to a plain text file.ThanksKrishnan.

There's EXSLT's str:replace() function, but AFAIK, it's not implemented natively anywhere. If you're using an XSLT processor that natively supports the func:function element, you can take the EXSLT function at the bottom of the str:replace() page, and import it into your XSLT. Otherwise, use the template implementation found on the same page.

• 5 months later...
Guest Chandra

Hi Krishnan,I am also facing the same problem, but replace function is not working with XSLT version 1.0 , i don't know whether it support or not?I know only use of template to replace the chars.Do u have any better idea and i how did u approached earlier?

Hi Krishnan,I am also facing the same problem, but replace function is not working with XSLT version 1.0 , i don't know whether it support or not?I know only use of template to replace the chars.Do u have any better idea and i how did u approached earlier?
What XSLT processor are you using? Did you tried all of the options above? If only the template one worked, then you're out of luck - there's no better way in XSLT 1.0.

There is a way with XSLT 1.0. By using recursion and string functions you can accomplish this. Note, my example uses CDATA to allow for the ampersand in the XML data

<xml id="xmlSource">		<top>			<text><![CDATA[This&IsMy&Text]]></text>		</top>	</xml>

<xsl:stylesheet			xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"			xmlns:msxsl="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt"			version="1.0">			<xsl:output method="text" />			<xsl:template match="/">				<xsl:apply-templates select="//text"/>			</xsl:template>			<xsl:template match="text">				<xsl:call-template name="Replace">					<xsl:with-param name="value" select="text()"/>				</xsl:call-template>			</xsl:template>				<xsl:template name="Replace">				<xsl:param name="value" />		   		<xsl:variable name="StartString" select="substring-before($value,'&')" />		   		<xsl:variable name="EndString" select="substring-after($value,'&')" />				  <xsl:variable name="NewString">					  <xsl:value-of select="concat($StartString,'\T\',$EndString)"/>				</xsl:variable>					<xsl:choose>					<xsl:when test="contains($NewString,'&')">						<xsl:call-template name="Replace">							<xsl:with-param name="value" select="$NewString" />						</xsl:call-template>					</xsl:when>					<xsl:otherwise>						<xsl:value-of select="$NewString"/>					</xsl:otherwise>				</xsl:choose>			</xsl:template>		</xsl:stylesheet>

returnsThis\T\IsMy\T\Text

Edited by aalbetski

You're still using a template, making it not much better than the one in EXSLT.On the other hand, yours doesn't rely on the exslt:node-set() function, as the EXSLT one appears to be.Just one thing... I'd also abstract away the "search" and "replacement" parts:

<xsl:template name="Replace">				<xsl:param name="value" />				<xsl:param name="search" />				<xsl:param name="replacement" />				   <xsl:variable name="StartString" select="substring-before($value,$search)" />				   <xsl:variable name="EndString" select="substring-after($value,$search)" />				  <xsl:variable name="NewString">					  <xsl:value-of select="concat($StartString,$replacement,$EndString)"/>				</xsl:variable>					<xsl:choose>					<xsl:when test="contains($NewString,$replacement)">						<xsl:call-template name="Replace">							<xsl:with-param name="value" select="$NewString" />						</xsl:call-template>					</xsl:when>					<xsl:otherwise>						<xsl:value-of select="$NewString"/>					</xsl:otherwise>				</xsl:choose>			</xsl:template>

So that one can later do:

<xsl:call-template name="Replace">	<xsl:with-param name="value" select="text()"/>	<xsl:with-param name="search" select="'&'"/>	<xsl:with-param name="replacement" select="'\T\'"/></xsl:call-template>

or whatever kind of other search&replace is needed.