Qestions From A Beginner

tulipa

HiI am a Graphic Designer and I want to be a Web Developer too. My main goal is to build my personal webiste wth a shop and blog sections integrated. I have some acknowledge of the HTML language, very basic, so I want to know if I should learn it or skip it and go straight to XTHML. I have already bought some books about HTML/XHTML and CSS, and I want to start the W3schools tutorials, but I feel a bit intimidated with all there is to learn and know, so which path should I take after I completely learn HTML/XHTML and CSS?Thank you for any advice or comment.Have a great week!Tulipa

The differences between HTML and XHTML are very small. So I would start with HTML. Since you know some already, pay close attention to things that might be different from what you know. HTML has changed a lot, but a lot of people, including authors and teachers, don't always know, so they have old habits.You can learn a lot of HTML without CSS, but you'll need to learn a lot of it together, since CSS determines important things, like positioning and spacing.There are a few tasks that can be drastically simplified if you learn just a little bit of a server-side language like PHP. Like, if you want 15 pages to all look the same, except for the content area, you don't have to maintain 15 unique pages. Ask us about that when you're ready.Most people learn javascript after HTML/CSS. Not everyone needs all it can do, but most people can use a little of what it does. It depends on your goal. If you just want readers to read and look at pictures, then you might not need any scripting. As a designer, you might start thinking about a gallery. Most galleries can benefit a lot from javascript, even if they aren't fancy.

Thank you Deirdre's Dad for your advice:)You mentioned that not everyone needs all Javascript can do, so by galleries you mean the Simple Viewer application, for example? For the moment my main goal is to build my personal website/shop, so I can learn through the the error/trial proccess, but I really want to become a web developer and be able to build all kind of websites in the future, I will go step by step, language by language:).I will for sure come back to the forums and follow the advice I get from the A to Z. Thank you again!

Archived