Need Feedback On Flex/flash Web App

dragonfly09

Autodesk launched Project Dragonfly, a tech preview of a Flex/Flash based 2D/3D online floor planning application, in efforts to provide a more efficient and easy to understand method for home improvement planning and visualization. Project Dragonfly creates an immersive user experience, whether you're creating a floor plan from scratch or starting with one from the gallery, by building upon open source technologies like Degrafa and Away3D libraries for the client and using Amazon's computing cloud to offload processor intensive operations on the server. Designs can be viewed in 3D or shared with friends and family with just the click of a button. We are looking for feedback from professionals like yourselves on how to improve the application. Give us your feedback...either here or on the site at: http://dragonfly.autodesk.com - thanks in advance!

This is good indeed. I do 3d modeling/animation ( not pro, for fun), and this looks a nice web app for doing some of the stuff.UI is good, I couldn't find other orthogonal views like front and side view, though.and zoom with wheel is a bit jumpy.the finished results can also be shown in perspective using something like 3dML.

Thanks for taking a look. We are working diligently on getting a more refined version out soon. The response and feedback we've had so far has been amazing. Thanks again and we hope you check back frequently for updates... BTW- if you know of anyone else with Flex/Flash/3d or similar background send them our way - we could use all the experienced input we can get!

• 2 weeks later...

Thats really cool. I thought the user interactivity was interesting. I would have liked to see zoomed in versions of the gallery floor plans. I like it though. Very interesting and exciting. Must have taken lots and lots of work. Did you do this mostly in flash? That's awesome stuff.

That's really very cool, and so smooth. I thought there'd be some jumpy bits or something. Extremely impressive.

Thanks! Yes the application was built on a Flash/Flex platform - so it is compatible with most browsers and doesn't require the messiness of downloading. We used cloud computing to keep things moving at a comfortable speed. Overall, it has been a pretty exciting project. It helps having such a strong team like we've had on this project. We are working pretty hard right now on another version and will continue to refine as our users continue to submit feedback. You guys ROCK for the kind words!

Thanks! Yes the application was built on a Flash/Flex platform - so it is compatible with most browsers and doesn't require the messiness of downloading. We used cloud computing to keep things moving at a comfortable speed. Overall, it has been a pretty exciting project. It helps having such a strong team like we've had on this project. We are working pretty hard right now on another version and will continue to refine as our users continue to submit feedback. You guys ROCK for the kind words!
What course of study is necessary to put that kind of thing together? I mean, what disciplines have to be brought together (I've never done a day's flash in my life, so things like cloud computing mean nothing to me, lol).

What course of study is necessary to put that kind of thing together? I mean, what disciplines have to be brought together (I've never done a day's flash in my life, so things like cloud computing mean nothing to me, lol).
To create something like this you need to know programming. Flash, flex use a scripting language, and are nearlysimilar platforms. also, they offer a range of ready to use classes (pieces of code) to directly build upon.As far as I guess, this application sends the 3D scene data to server side and uses the rendered output to update the scene.that is mainly because the user can rotate things to any angle, otherwise, they'd just need renders from 8 different angles.a full 3d look here : http://www.infiniteturtles.co.uk/projects/...pedMustang.html

Archived