Ie8

justsomeguy

IE8 is substantially different than previous versions. Thankfully, MS decided to have IE8 by default use its most standards-compliant mode instead of the default IE7 behavior. IE8 is going to cause a lot of websites only designed for IE to break because it's following standards closer, and will force the people building those sites to get with the program. It's support for standards is still really low compared to the others, but compared to previous versions of IE it's miles ahead.

It's a very positive step, and I'm happy to see it. The Javascript compliance/performance still leaves a lot to be desired, but the markup rendering has improved tremendously. Of course, as web developers we're still going to have to keep developing with IE6/7 in mind for some time yet, but now there's light at the end of the tunnel, one day maybe we can expect to just write semantic standards compliant code and expect it to work everywhere.Apart from Trident it's also quite positive, and it almost outdoes Firefox in the browsing experience if not for the lack of extensibility and the (in my opinion) cluttered UI.

Anyone know if an asus eeepc has enough umf or if tis likely to cause any issues with installing it on it.
If the little CPU can run XP, I'm sure it would be able to cope with IE8.
Of course, as web developers we're still going to have to keep developing with IE6/7 in mind for some time yet
That's what I'm watching the most - I'm very eager to drop support for IE6 in particular. The last I heard, Microsoft is going to be pushing IE8 as a critical update for both XP and Vista, so hopefully in the next couple months we'll see the usage of previous versions plummet.

It's a fact of life. Most users, especially home users, do not upgrade their software until they upgrade their hardware. In other words, most home users will upgrade to IE8 when they buy their next computer.Corporate users will vary. A big place with a savvy IT department will come around and upgrade for you. Smaller companies expect users to upgrade on their own. Mom and pop businesses are still using IE6.Most colleges and universities will be upgrading over spring break or after the semester. But the students' own computers may be older, IE6 and not destined for a change. Some buy new as Freshmen, and some get hand-me-downs or used models.

Guest FirefoxRocks

On some of my sites, I have the meta tag to flag IE8 to use IE7 standards mode as of right now. I think that in IE8 the sites will work fine but I haven't tested them yet.Also, Windows 7 BETA already comes with IE8, there is no need to install it there :) I am upgrading my Windows XP machine to IE8 but not my Vista machine yet as I still need to test sites in Internet Explorer 7.If people do not switch to Firefox/Opera/Chrome, I am telling them to upgrade to IE8 ASAP. IE6/7 literally drives web developers insane trying to make compatible sites with CSS, etc.

Archived