Advice On Selling Items Over The Net

Hooch

Hello all. I would like some info/suggestions on how to sell items over the net. I have 2 friends selling different items and would like webpages set up to sell there respective products. The shopping cart software seem involved and secure enough, but what aboutcustomization? I want to create the whole site as they want, but integrating these shopping cartstend to limit the look of the site when browsing the items. I'm not ruling out paying for a custom setup that I can integrate later. What do you guys recommend? Thank you

Any off-the-shelf shopping cart is going to have a certain look and feel, but you can always customize everything to make it look like you want. Most use templates and things like that which you can change. The only recommendation I have is to not use CubeCart, it's poorly written and the developer documentation is non-existent.

I did look at some of the free ones (oscommerce, zencart) but there is a bit to get things running and to customize will be a nightmare for me I'm sure.Any valid reasons to purchasing a shopping cart? Are these any easier to integrate? I'm sure thecustomer support will be much better.

OsCommerceZenCartand Agora are all web established. It really is personal preference on what layout you like and the amount and type of items you are selling. It's also worth mentioning that you need to make sure that whichever option you choose you make sure that you can integrate your payment provider (PayPal, Worldpay etc) into the shop. Don't make the mistake of building the shop than finding they don't support your provider.

Yes thank you good point Problem.Now 1 guy was talking about credit cards.I was thinking they should only go with the paypal option.Do these carts have a credit card option? And how secure would this be if they do?

Any valid reasons to purchasing a shopping cart? Are these any easier to integrate? I'm sure thecustomer support will be much better.
I think there are few reasons to purchase a cart. Many times, open source carts have a much better support structure and community than the paid versions. Paid versions aren't necessarily easier to integrate and may even be more difficult to customize if they lock you out of parts of the code. CubeCart, for example, has several encrypted pieces to it that make it difficult to even figure out what the thing is doing.
Do these carts have a credit card option?
All of the carts I've seen have support for a wide range of payment gateways. You'll enable the gateways you want to use and configure them with your account settings and they should work. The same goes with shipping options usually.

Archived