Help Developing A Syllabus?

Sicario

I am extremely passionate about learning, and mastering Web design, and going on to become an intelligent and well-versed web developer.I have developed a syllabus for myself and it is attached; if someone who has traveled the full path would be kind enough to critique it and modify, I'd greatly appreciate it. I am going to complete this whole syllabus, and go on on to a more advanced version that allows me to progress into more complex interactive sites, that utilize php, sql, and flash media. I want to develop a syllabus, or rather a course of study, that will take someone from knowing nothing, all the way to the advanced levels of web design and development, a linear progression, that I will follow myself religiously when completed.Please assist me in developing this syllabus to it's full capacity, it would be a great service to this wonderful community.I will use this syllabus and pass it on to others, thanks.Spring 2009Level 1 Skill SyllabusUnit 1: Understanding Tools & Application*Obtain Lynda or Similar Video Tutorials For The Following Software**Only Skip That Which Is 100% Remedial*A) Mastery Of Adobe DreamweaverFollow & Complete Video Training Step-By-StepTake Pre-Made Template And Edit To A Unique Site W/ New Found InformationB ) Mastery Of Adobe PhotoshopFollow & Complete Video Training Step-By-StepDevelop Graphics & Logos For Unique Site Project; ApplyC) Mastery Of Adobe FireworksFollow & Complete Video Training Step-By-StepDevelop Vector Graphic For Unique ProjectD) Familiarize Oneself Adobe BridgeLearn & Understand The Use Of Adobe BridgePractice it's uses and functionsE) Explore Other ToolsDiscover other useful, and necessary tools for web-designWordpress, Razor Tools, Logo Creators, EtceteraPractice their uses and functionsApply them to the unique siteUnit 2: HTML/XHTML, CSS & JavaScript For Web Design & Development*Buy/Rent Book(s) On HTML/XHTML, CSS, Javascript For Web-Design*A) HTML/XTMLFollow & Complete Course On HTML/XHTML To Reasonable LevelComplete Practice Assignments & TutorialsApply New Abilities To Unique WebsiteUpon Completion Take W3 CertificationIf failed, repeat missed points and weak aspects until strong. Retake until Satisfactory.B ) Cascading Style SheetsFollow & Complete Course On CSS To Reasonable LevelComplete Practice Assignments & TutorialsApply New Abilities To Unique WebsiteUpon Completion Take W3 CertificationIf failed, repeat missed points and weak aspects until strong. Retake until Satisfactory.C) JavascriptFollow & Complete Course On Javascript To Reasonable LevelComplete Practice Assignments & TutorialsApply New Abilities To Unique WebsiteUpon Completion Take W3 CertificationIf failed, repeat missed points and weak aspects until strong. Retake until Satisfactory.Unit 3: Host, Publish & Modify Your Website*Obtain Resource (s), That Has Information On How To Host, Post, Publish & Modify Website*A) Hosting & DomainsResearch All About Hosting & DomainsObtain Affordable HostingPurchase Domain Name For Unique WebsiteHost Unique Website Under New Purchased DomainB ) TCP/IP, FTP & HTTPResearch And Overview TCP/IPResearch All About FTP & HTTPObtain FTP ClientLearn The Uses And Abilities Of Your FTP ClientResearch How To Modify, And Use FTP DirectoriesModify Unique Website Within Host Using FTP Client

I would move the first Unit into third place.Learn html/css first, build a site, enhance it with javascript, then some php/mysql, and then learn the remaining technologies like Dreamweaver. Consider Dreamweaver a tool to use once you know how html and all the rest of the stuff works. The wysiwyg editors write very bad code (generally) and you are better off spending your effort learning the html/css rather than learning how to run Dreamweaver.

I would move the first Unit into third place.Learn html/css first, build a site, enhance it with javascript, then some php/mysql, and then learn the remaining technologies like Dreamweaver. Consider Dreamweaver a tool to use once you know how html and all the rest of the stuff works. The wysiwyg editors write very bad code (generally) and you are better off spending your effort learning the html/css rather than learning how to run Dreamweaver.
Considering that I do this, moving Dreamweaver the first unit into third place, how would I then progress through to PHP, Ajax, Sql and so forth.Would you mind compressing that into a format similar to what I have posted, or describing it?

I'm not so sure about dividing your syllabus that way. First you want to know some HTML, then move to learning how to use HTML in dreamweaver. This will be where you can learn how to use the program. Next take a few tutorials on some basics in using photoshop, and fireworks.This is where you'll assign yourself a project to test how well you can design a webpage using only HTML and graphics knowledge. The page will be very basic and static. But your goal is to make is navigable, cool looking, easy to load, and have relevant content that a viewer would want. Remember to check out it looks on the web using common browsers. =)Next you take on CSS. Learn a little about the coding and adjust your current site to fit CSS in it. This is really good for coding skills. It'll help you recognize code and what it's doing to your page. You're gonna have quite a challenge making the layout and everything work the way you want. Which is good for developing skill.By now you have a good mastery over HTML and CSS. I'd like to try a second site to try using both or designing one using XHTML. I dislike using it because it's restrictiveness forced me to start off designing something so simple and less aesthetically pleasing until I got the hang of it. Good luck with XHTML. After that you can jump into Javascript. I never got past HTML/XHTML and CSS. So I don't know how to help past that.I hope that helped. Sorry for the blocks of text. I can't think in syllabus form, and organizing what I'm thinking would've taken me too much time. n_n;

Archived